DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Help.......digi box advise please

Posted by quin-191138 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alex!-192212 - 14 years ago

Aha, thanks. The penny has finally dropped! I guess that I'll take the risk with one of the second-hand digiboxes, because even if there are problems with the activation of the new card, I can still watch BBC.

Cheers, Alex

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

quote:receivers can "forget" that they've been activated if they are unplugged, what do you think the chances are of one of these working for FTV channels?

They remember after being on for a little while. FTA channels are available without a card so you would get the BBC stuff. The Free to View card will give you access to ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5 as well as the free to air programmes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alex!-192212 - 14 years ago

Hi all,

I know this subject seems to have been done to death on the forum, but I've got another question about this Sky/BBC thing.

I noticed on eBay that a few people are selling Sky Digiboxes with the new type cards activated in them already. Given the information contained in other threads about the activation process and the possibility that the receivers can "forget" that they've been activated if they are unplugged, what do you think the chances are of one of these working for FTV channels?

If I get one of these Sky boxes and it turns out that the card has not been activated properly, could it still be used to view all the other FTA channels, or would it be basically useless?

Cheers, Alex

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

If it is a FERGUSON FDT500, then no as it is an ariel based system. You won't pick up any British TV signal down here. You need to go the sat. route for that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/digital/compare.shtml for info.

Sorry no image available
Posted by quin-191138 - 14 years ago

Hi Linda

I did see your box on the forum, sorry but I am trying to sort all TV out a bit cheaper than your box. Good luck on selling.

dachshunds rule ok

Sorry no image available
Posted by quin-191138 - 14 years ago

Thank you for all the advise. I will study it and make the right choice and will soon have some viewing.

Thanks again

dachshunds rule ok

Sorry no image available
Posted by Linda h-191285 - 14 years ago

HelloI offered a digi box for free Tv reception but my offer didn't appear on the forum (I don't know why). If you are interested for 300 euros call Linda 0667933478linda

Sorry no image available
Posted by ivanfox - 14 years ago

The new freeview cards are being sold for 23.50 GBP and supposedly guarantee access to C4,C5 and ITV (or other variations) until at least the end of 2005.  The company charged with this has set up the website www.free2view.tv to provide updated freeview cards.  You will still need a UK address and a digibox (not just any old FTA receiver, as only digibox manufacturers are licensed to implement the sky specific decryption system). A second hand digibox can easily be picked up on ebay for less than 50 quid and can be connected to a locally bought satellite dish (with universal LNB).

Sorry no image available
Posted by irishman-180738 - 14 years ago

Hi Quin,

There are several levels of possible confusion here.

Are you sure that the freeview receiver that you have been offered is a satellite receiver? The other possibility is that it is for digital terrestrial tv transmissions which cannot be received in France (well not in the south of France anyway. It might be possible on the North coast).If it is a freeview satellite receiver then what you need to keep in mind is the distinction between Free to View (FTV) and Free to Air (FTA) channels. I think that this terminology is specific to Sky. The FTA channels are not encrypted and thus can be received by any digital satellite receiver. The FTV channels are encrypted and require a Free to View (aka Solus) card. Howeverthese cards are only compatible with the Sky Digibox.

/Irishman

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Without the card you can see :

BBC1, BBC2, BBC News 24, BBC Parliament, Sky News,  ITV News, CNN, Euronews.  There may others,  I just flicked through those.

You can't see any of the Sky Channels (except News), movies, etc.

By the way the 'freeview' card is apparently not free.  Huh!