DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

iPod vs. Archos Jukebox

Posted by theresponsibleadult-188195 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Honourable Number 1 Daughter would like to have an IPOD for her birthday present.

I have an Archos Jukebox Recorder 20 with which I am very happy.  There is a considerable difference in price between the two devices, with the Archos being much cheaper.

Can anyone tell me, is there some real reason (other than nicer styling) to fork out so much more for an IPOD?

It will be purchased in the US.

**Mummy told me once too often that I wasn't setting a good example; now I just strive to be a terrible warning.**

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by harvster-181676 - 14 years ago

I recently bought a 30 GB iPod which is the "newer" generation one, but I cannot find much information about it on the websites.

I've dropped it a couple of times and not have had any problems, maybe it was the case that cushioned the blow.

The only bad thing about the iPod in my view is the fact it runs on a HDD as opposed to memory, which means that when you are jogging it sometimes does skip. But of course, that isn't much of a problem as you know I don't do that much exercise ... ;-)

Ciao

Sorry no image available
Posted by theresponsibleadult-188195 - 14 years ago

ChristoperL:  I did indeed mean the Firewire and USB cable. That is what I was shopping for; that is what is apparantly unavailable across the USA. I think it's a bit cheeky of Apple to sell a very expensive piece of equipment which all but the most modern computers cannot run without extra equipment.

Mike:  Thanks for the advice on that.  I have ordered the IEEE 1394 card (amazing spread in the available price range).  I hope that one IEEE 1394 card is essentially the same as the next.  Depending on the brand and site, one IEEE 1394 card was touted as being for gamers another for video editors, another for something else.

Meanwhile, I'm still worried about the butterfingers problem.  It seems, according to many online reviews that I have read, that the iPOD is a bit fragile....I hope this isn't going to lead to one big  >:'0(

Thanks again to all who replied.  The advice was all very welcome.

**Mummy told me once too often that I wasn't setting a good example; now I just strive to be a terrible warning.**

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

You could always get an IEEE 1394 card (FireWire to Mac-heads) for the PC instead. They're not very costly these days, and it will give you better computer-to-iPod performance.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 14 years ago

quote:still cannot find an available Firewire to USB cable

Are you intending to convert the Firewire to USB?  I wouldn't do that.  I guess the iPod is delivered with only a Firewire cable - right?  That would be the Apple way.  However the iPod has USB 2.0 support native on the machine so all you need is the authentic Apple accessory PC support cable which I believe is a combination Firewire AND USB 2.0.  Does that help?  or was it precisely that PC support cable that you cannot find available? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by lulu-183463 - 14 years ago

lucky her! a bunch of ipod information on this site. it might interest her: http://www.macgamesandmore.com/archives.htmlthis is NOT a dress rehearsal

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

Theres a shop in Monaco which might have that kind of thing. Let me know if you want the number. Also, you may want to try the nearest Fnac to where you live because its the kind of thing they would have.

M

Sorry no image available

H#1D, will shortly be receiving a 20GB iPOD for her birthday. 

I managed to get the iPOD plus the mobile FM transmitter but after an exhaustive search of electonics suppliers in the US still cannot find an available Firewire to USB cable.  Everybody has them on backorder.

Has anyone seen them for sale here? I don't want to order one from the net here because of possible delays.  I would really like to get in person so that I can mail it to the US immediately.  Thanks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by OK-186520 - 14 years ago

... then we would suggest the iPod.

Also of great benefit given her cicumstances is the amount of accesories available for the iPod. eg: wireless transmitter so that when she is in the car she can wirelessly transmit to a 'station' on her car stereo, and listen via the car speakers.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/accessories.html

Yes, you can buy aftermarket products to do a simliar job with say, the Archos, but not in as nice a package as the iPod.

Good Luck!

Sorry no image available

More information:

H#1D is about to turn 22, (I was just a zygote when she was born - that's my story and I'm sticking to it) so she is, for the most part, beyond the 'style-is-everything' phase.

I absolutely agree that the iPOD is very attractive and from all that I have read about Apple products, it is probably very easy to use and good quality, too.  However, I have found my Archos Jukebox ridiculously easy to use as well.  She lives in Texas (there is hardship in her life) so whatever we go with will be ordered and delivered in the US.  European prices are irrelevent.

Now, while cruising around the web, I have found another mp3 player by RCA which, for the same money as an Archos with a 20Gb hard drive, comes with a 40Gb hard drive!

Sadly, H#1D inherited her mothers' butterfingers, and one of the features of the Archos that I like is the rubber bumpers on all four corners, which helps cushion any impacts even when it is not in its protective carrying case.  Neither the iPOD nor the RCA RD2840 seem to have that.

She will be using this for storage of music and other data. It will, more than likely, accompany her in her car and to her bedroom so she can have all her music with her at those times, but is unlikely to be used when out walking around.

RCA RD2840

iPOD - 20G

Archos Jukebox 20G

So I'm tempted to jump at the RCA, just for the Gigs for $ ratio, but then return to the Archos because of the Gigs-$-safety thing.

I am very grateful to the replies and advice so far and would still appreciate any thoughts about features/problems that I may not have considered.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

I have a daughter too. It has to be the iPod.

The iPod is, like, where its at.

Anything else is like, Omigod lemmeoutahere, this is for kids and I'm like, 19? Or haven't you noticed? Can I take it back and change it?

Tony