DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

local radio ?

Posted by ai - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bernie-192388 - 15 years ago

Oh yes!!!! I stopped listening to RR too. I got sick of Dido and I started to wish that Will Young would "leave right now"!!!!

Shame though, I really liked the breakfast show - even if it sounds like it's run out of someone's garage!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by ai - 15 years ago

hey ...thanks for all the posts....dont suppose much will change but its good to hear from you...aiai

Sorry no image available
Posted by coolas - 15 years ago

"coolas, maybe RR is trying to attract the sort of listeners who don't care much about new releases, rather than those who want to hear them"

12K (notice I used caps!)

Sorry mate, don't agree - my father is of "the age" and probably the exact target of their market audience and it infuriates him that they play the same old same old ALL of the time.  He loved that song 'Where is the Love' by(can't remember the group now) which was number one in the UK for about 15 weeks - they have NEVER played it and it's a fantastic song - no matter who the audience is.

I don't think that there is anybody out there, old or young who wants to hear constant repetition day in and day out - we all like variety in our lives.  The shame of it is that some of these songs that they play until you want to smash your car radio to smithereens are songs that under other circumstances (ie. had you not already heard them fifty billion times before) you'd smile fondly and say 'ooh, I Love this song!!  I haven't heard this for ages!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alex!-192212 - 15 years ago

I agree with TerryT: Frequence K (103.4) ROCKS! In fact, I can't remember ever hearing the same record twice on there, now I come to think about it.

RR makes my teeth itch. Surely we could start up a News of The World style "Ban this evil noise NOW!" campaign.

The original idea of this thread is great too. More exposure for local bands. Surely it's only a matter of time before someone takes the law into their own hands ... and starts up a pirate station for CdA!

Cheers, Alex

Sorry no image available
Posted by Paul Carmel-190537 - 15 years ago

Sorry mate me thinks not! It's just you, the car and the same tunes over and over again............I am thinking of starting a RR support group to wean you off....stand in front of the mirror and say 'I listen to RR and I am addicted', it's the first step, and believe me you will get there!!

Cheers

PC

The hardest button to button is the off one.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sam the clam-189505 - 15 years ago

Great! does that mean I get to hang out with Andie Macdowall until she succumbs to my (obvious) charms?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Paul Carmel-190537 - 15 years ago

Nuff said Sam the Clam Groundhog day.......tis the winter!

PC

Sorry no image available

Thanks Black cat, I often listen to the beeb via the internet. RR is uniquely for the car - I do a lot of driving.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Black Cat-192495 - 15 years ago

Sam, if you want World Service News you can hear it online at http://news.bbc.co.uk.With a difference... if you missed the news "on the hour" you can still hear it from the start after the hour.With local events on angloinfo and in the Riviera Reporter and with BBC World Service (and other programming) online or by satellite, who needs Riviera Radio? You also get better local weather and traffic on 107,7FM... in French of course but most people can understand the weather and traffic info in French.They've made themselves redundant.

Sorry no image available

12K,Humble apologies for the small k, anglo info pseudos don't appear to be quite as case sensitive as yourself - I usually log in with a small 's', but I appear to have gained stature within the confines of the forums!

I am quite certain that the majority of people who tune in to RR do so because it is a local news and music station that broadcasts in English, not because they haven't heard an Elton John song for at least half an hour and are in withdrawal. Therefore I feel that constuctive critcism of the narrowness of their repetetive playlist is valid. Some appreciation of local acts on their part, could do no harm and could contribute in no small way to local culture, limited as it may be.

Paul, I agree that the off switch is a tempting alternative. The problem is that RR has a monpoly of sorts, inasmuch as they play the World service  News, they give details of local events being held, often within the 'Anglo' community, bring and buy, etc., etc.... This means that people switch on more to find out what is going on than anything else.

I think I've said all this before...spooky!!

'Try fish for a change'