DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

local radio ?

Posted by ai - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 20)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TerryT-188383 - 15 years ago

If anyone's looking for some decent radio stations, the two I listen to the most are Frequence K 103.4 and TSF 98.1. The first one plays a wide range of eclectic stuff and the second one while playing mainly jazz also has some blues and the occasional soul/funk number.

Both are great listening.

I just turn to 106.5 exactly on the hour to get the news and then get out of there before I hear too much garbage.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 15 years ago

quote:Forget local bands for a minute... I'd like to hear some current releases - you know stuff that is being played everywhere else...id=quote>If it's being played everywhere else, then where is the need for yet another station to be playing it? Don't you get sick of skipping through the music stations only to hear the same, mind-numbing garbage being played on almost every one of them?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Monaco Max-189694 - 15 years ago

So what social group is it that they are trying to catch with these play lists? You would have thought that it would be high disposable income, successful full time residents, but it isn't working for me!MAX (of Monaco)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Paul Carmel-190537 - 15 years ago

I don't get to hear this particular station but by the outpouring of posts on this site I get the point.

As for local bands getting a break, it's no different in the UK. There has been more than one occasion where Radio 1 has decided not to touch a band. Then they find out the midweek (first sales figures released on Tuesday indicating possible chart position), realise they have missed the next big thing and are immediately all over them like a bad rash, claiming to have found and broken them. Conversely they have championed bands because of the major marketing campaign the record company is going spend huge amounts of money on, only to see them disappear without trace.

Also, virtually all radio stations, both BBC and commercial, are obsessed by how well records 'test' with the public (and of course commercial stations have their advertisers to keep happy), and as a consequence they rarely take chances, and instead operate a computerised playlist system which effectively rules out the possibility of supporting local talent - it's just not commercially viable.  No doubt if a local act did become huge they would of course claim that they were there at the start and were key in their success!

Sorry about the rant but it felt good to get it off my chest.........as for RR use the off button and maybe so would the sponsors.

PC

Sorry no image available
Posted by 12K-191823 - 15 years ago

>> Sam the clam, those (virtual) reams have been generated by at most a few dozen people. If the claim on RR's calendar is right about the station reaching over 70K people/week then those critics' views can hardly be taken as statistically significant.

But it is true that if, as my last posting suggested, RR's aim is to please some of the people all of the time then it will, by definition,displease some of the people. Bad metaphors about breaking eggs to make omelettes can be used at this point if you wish...

(It's a capital "K" on "12K", incidentally)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sam the clam-189505 - 15 years ago

12k, having read reams and (virtual) reams of criticism about the repetitive nature of the RR playlist and its somewhat narrow selection of music on this very site, I don't think you can assume anything of the kind. I am well aware that RR caters for a certain age/income group of which I probably belong. But it appears that an overdose of market research leads to a kind of musical 'dumbing down'. What we all seem to want is a bit of musical 'sexing up'!  If Alistair Cambell is still looking for a job.......? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by 12K-191823 - 15 years ago

>> coolas, maybe RR is trying to attract the sort of listeners who don't care much about new releases, rather than those who want to hear them.

>> ai, maybe it also wants listeners who don't care much about new, local music, either.

You can't please all of the people all of the time. RR programming seems aimed at pleasing some of the people all of the time rather than all of the people some of the time (two options which, somewhat broadly, pretty much cover how you can choose to program a radio station).

You have to assume that they know who the "some of the people" are that they want to reach and that, if you don't like the music, you probably aren't one of them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by coolas - 15 years ago

Forget local bands for a minute... I'd like to hear some current releases - you know stuff that is being played everywhere else... 

After Will Young's new song was number one for a gazillion weeks, they've finally got it on the radio, but that is just ONE song - why is it that they only seem up for adding a new song to their playlist once every bluemoon. 

Anyone who gets the Beeb and watches TOTP won't know any of the songs because they NEVER get played until about nine months after their initial release!

I know that budget constraints might apply here, but surely not to the degree that they can only afford one new tune in a six month period!

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

As a matter of interest, who does control the playlist of a station and on what criteria is it based?

How much autonomy do the presenters and the manager have in this regard?

Is it based on buget (e.g 'we have 58 CDs and we can't afford more')?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sam the clam-189505 - 15 years ago

If I had a centime for every word written about RR's playlist on this site, I'd probably have enough to start my own radio station!

ai, I love the idea. There are so many long suffering local bands that could use the exposure. Good Luck.