DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Playing DVDs on my laptop - help please

Posted by Spidey-189686 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Spidey-189686 - 14 years ago

Thanks chaps,

I`ll do that. I`ll take my home player into the hozza. I was just hoping to take my old BRICK (how dare you ;-) with me as its easier to carry about.

NEVER FAR AWAY

SPIDEY

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

Sorry, need it for my work.

Cant you take your home player into the hospital and connect it to the TV?

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

Spidey,

Unfortunately, as dearly as you love it, your laptop is an old brick that is not up to the job. 

If you are going into hospital then you need to make yourself comfy. 

You can get a brand new MP3 and CD-RW compatible DVD player from Carrefour for 69 Euros that will plug into any standard TV including the small models you can hire in hospitals if your room will not be equipped with a TV or if you don't already have one of your own.  In that price you'll get something that has a remote control and semi-decent sound that you can watch in comfort from a wide range of positions in your bed without fluffing around with a fragile laptop.

my 2 cents worth...

Sorry no image available

Tony,

OK, One final question

Do fancy hiring out your laptop for 7-10 days from this Thursday onwards?? Or anyone else out there with a laptop that plays DVD`s (or a portable DVD player)

CHEERS ALL

SPIDEY

Sorry no image available

B*GGER!!!!!

OH, well, thanks again for your help

SPIDEY

Sorry no image available

You cant upgrade the graphics on a laptop, and it wouldnt be worthwhile if you could, since the processor is still slow.Tony

Sorry no image available

Thanks Tony for all your help, I will definately try your recommendations.

Legend - I have found the graphics system you mentioned, it is a NEOMAGIC MAGICGRAPH 256ZX DRIVER with 3913 KB, this is obviously not good enough, can I upgrade? If so, can you recommend what to get and where I could get it from

THANKS

SPIDEY

Sorry no image available

That is really the lower limit for playing DVDs.

The Cyberlink player is supposed to run better on slower machines, and there is a plug-in available for the windows media player, so you could try that for $15.  The plug-in has some of the extras stripped out, so it may actually perform better on your machine.

http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/powerdvd/winxp_plugin.asp

If it is still jerky, it might run better in a small window, rather than full screen.

As JohnD pointed out, you could try changing the screen colour settings (right click on the background)  If you have 32-bits, try 16-bits.

Good luck!

Tony

Sorry no image available

Thanks everyone for your tips, I have downloaded DirectX and Zoom Player Professional,  still not 100% but slightly better, any more hints and tips would be GREATLY appreciated

I am running XP

I have just checked details of the processor and its a 397MHz Pentium II which I know is a bit (lot) outdated now.

I cannot find the details of my graphics sub system, please can you explain that to me and also what do you mean by eliminate all unknowns??

Sorry to be thick

SPIDEY

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

quote:what can I do? if anything

Eliminate all unknowns and answer the questions previously asked plus the following;

What Windows version is it?  If it is XP, then the standard Windows Media Player would be sufficient  software to determine if you hve the right video/audio codecs etc (N.B. "sufficient", not great).  If you have something earlier than XP then it gets a lot messier.

Click on "My Computer" and look for the info that talks about the CPU processor type and its speed.  The Dell Latitude CPi came in a wide range of processor speeds and as TonyP says : anything less than about 500Mhz and you are likely to get the effect you describe.  I have seen movies run OK on a 300Mhx Pentium II but that was an old high-end professional laptop with a super graphics sub-system.

To understand your graphics sub-system, Start>Control Panel>Display>Adapter and then look in the item called "Memory Size".  Anything less than 8Mb is going to be a hindrance for DVD rendition.

If you are not on XP, and/or you have less than 500Mhz processor and/or you have a cheapy graphics sub-system then you are in quart/pint-pot territory.