DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Problems listening online to Five Live

Posted by Steve R-187639 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ian81-188951 - 13 years ago

When you log on you are assigned an ip address for the duration of your session (time on line). These are assigned from a pool that have been allocated to your isp. So if you move to the UK your UK based isp will allocate you one of their addresses. These addresses are allocated by those that run /manage the internet and to enable traffic to be routed they are tied to geographic areas / specific network operators. If you want you can obtain a 'permanent' ip address but this would still show geographical data.

Cookies used by a web site just show what your preferences were / how you used the site so that you don't need to re-enter information on returning to the site (..yes that is simplistic)

However some streams check your IP each time you use the service -e.g. R5 and so block certain traffic. I have yet to hear of a sucessful use of a proxy to beat the BBC ....but then I am sure out there .......

Sorry no image available
Posted by Doug-181340 - 13 years ago

The IP address is allocated by your ISP when you connect and the IP location services maintain a cross reference database of organisations and their blocks of allocated IP addresses.

Click here for a brief introduction to IP addressing.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Steve R-187639 - 13 years ago

Thanks Doug.

I had a look at the showmyip site and it came up with nothing more accurate than France. I thought the IP address was the unique number of the PC so what happens if I take it to the UK?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Doug-181340 - 13 years ago

Hi STeve,

They'll be using of of the many IP-to-location services that are available. They're not very reliable for picking up exact location, but they can be fairly good for just establishing which country you're in.

See http://www.showmyip.com/geo/ for an example (for me this shows Cagnes-Sur-Mer, but I'm actually in Nice - close enough for jazz I suppose). Alteratively Google for 'IP location' and browse until you get bored.

One way around this is to use a proxy server. It's not straightforward and you'll need a fair bit of technical knowledge to make sure you're not getting yourself into trouble. I can't vouch for this link, but it'll give you some idea of what I'm talking about: http://www.publicproxyservers.com/index.html

Keep in mind that these could log everything you do and may be unreliable.

Cheers,

Doug