DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

satellites reception with my computer

Posted by mariapio-186212 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jacob - 14 years ago

There are several methods to watch TV on a computer.1. The easiest is to use an existing installation and to simply feed the video into the computer. Connect the SCART video-output from the Digibox/TV/AV Amp to a video digitiser using a SCART to S-Video/RCA cable. You use your exiting equipment to change channels and simply use you computer monitor as the screen. Video digitisers come in a number of flavours:a. USB, seriously inferior quality.b. Firewire, excellent full-screen quality.c. PCI (internal), variable depending upon specs.2. A more complicated and expensive way is to use a DVB decoder (satellite) or RF tuner (terrestrial) device, for this you connect your areial/satellite directly to the unit. For DVB satellite there are no systems I am aware of the can handle the sky card so you would be restricted to freeview channels. These units are also available in different flavours:a. Most are PCI for internal installation (again variable quality).b. On the Mac (not sure about the PC) you can also get Firewire or USB units from elgato.comMy TV burnt out a while ago and I've been hapily using a Firewire DV bridge/digitiser with my LCD monitor since. You must also route the audio through the device as well otherwise you'll get it out of sync (the encoding adds a slight delay to the video).The computer does not need to be fast to display the video as most devices has the requisite hardware oboard to do the digitising themselves. The computer only needs to have enough a decent video card and bus speed to handle the video stream.-- [url="http://verseguru.com/"]VerseGuru[/url]

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

I ought to say that the card plugs into the PC, but there is a cable that connects the TV card to the digibox.Tony

Sorry no image available

The card plugs into the Digibox.  The PC with the card installed acts as a normal TV.Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by irishman-180738 - 14 years ago

quote:I have a satellite dish and digibox now.

If you are talking about a Sky Digibox then you should know that the encrypted Sky channels can only be decoded by a Sky Digibox and not by any Satellite pc card. As far as I know the only way to record these (non FTA channels) to your computer would be to use a video capure card to capture the analogue video signal output from the Digibox.

Sorry no image available

If it is a PC-card that goes inside the PC, quality is supposed to be acceptable, but you will need a fast PC to do the recording.

There are USB models available, but most are USB 1 which is too slow.

Tony