DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Setting up a Sky Dish

Posted by hambakwe-188035 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

We met some people over the weekend who had brought out their Sky box and wanted to know how to set it up. For anyone else who needs the info.The angles can be worked out very quickly at http://web-dynamics.org/broadband/satfinder.htm . The site is meant for Internet, but the Sky Sat is at 28.2 Deg - so you just type in 28.2 Deg (instead of 28.5). and get your Latitude and Longditude off something like MS AutoRoute (or a GPS) and fill that in as well. The calculator then tells you where to point and the elevation. Then all you need is a compass to get the direction about right and swing the dish around a bit to get the best signal.

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by OffPiste-192366 - 14 years ago

Hi there,

Thanks for your original link to that satellite site. I was looking around on it last night for more info, and there is quite a well hidden link to a page with what looks like all the satellites positions listed. If anyone else needs it, the direct link is http://www.web-dynamics.org/broadband/satlist.htm

Tom

Sorry no image available
Posted by OffPiste-192366 - 14 years ago

Thanks for all the info guys.

Looks like I will get to have a fun time sitting on my roof, must forget the lunchtime o'booze... and does anyone know where I can get replacement old tiles??

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

Also, just to throw another idea into the pot - if you just want BBC channels, get any digital (numerique) box and connect it to a sat dish (over 80cm) pointing at the Astra 2 cluster. Voila BBC1,2,3,4 and news 24 are all free to air with no card or subscription needed. If you want ITV, CH4 and CH5 as well you need a sky digi box as stated earlier but you can get a free to view card from www.free2view.tv for £23.50, no subscription needed but UK address (registered as paying TV licence I presume).

Personally I had good dealings with northweald sat. to get a digi box. Standard price for a new digibox picked up from near Antibes, no problems.

Great fun doing your own installation - done mine on a nice sunny day sitting on the roof with a map (didn't have a compass :) ). Use good quality coax for your connection from box to dish, and do it in one run - from LNB on dish straight to the back of the box seems the most reccommended - avoid joins etc.

email me if you want any advice.

HTH

Sorry no image available
Posted by hambakwe-188035 - 14 years ago

The installation thing is quite easy as well, you can do it yourself with no problem.

If you have a bit of time and an extension lead .... take your box and TV up to the roof with you (or you can get a mate downstairs and shout a lot) and then connect the whole lot up and set the Sky box to 'Signal Test' - Services, 4 & then 6 if I remember right.

Then point the dish south, look for other Sky dishes or use a compass. If you look at my first post, and use that site you can get it pretty accurate first shot. Then watch the TV screen and move the dish very slowly W->E until you see the NI (network ID) setting change to 07d4 from 0000. I think it is the same on all. The LI (lock indicator) should change from 'Not Locked' to 'OK'. Then you just have to centre it for the best signal and set the elevation up <-> down until you get the strongest and best signal on the Sig Strength and Sig Quality bars.

Recommend that you buy good quality cable though to go from the box to the dish. The signal can be a bit weak down here, so best to lose as little as possible in the cable. I spent ages with a poor signal and half the channels until someone told me about this.

Oh and one other thing, I bought 2 Sky boxes on E-Bay for £15 each. I got the card activated in the UK (Sky ask for the Sky Box serial # to do this) then I brought the boxes and the card down and set them up .... all worked well until I decided to test out the second box using my card ... the card was deactivated and I had to get it re-activated.

Hope this helps

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andy G-190935 - 14 years ago

Cheers lob!

Sorry no image available
Posted by lob-189383 - 14 years ago

you need a sky account registered to a uk address.

the way i did it to go through an independent satellite installation company in the UK (there are loads in the yellow pages) and ordered the equipment from him.  but the complication is that ordinarily sky insist you hook the dish up to the telephone (then the equipment is more or less free).  obviously this is not desirable - so i insisted that i only had a mobile - but this meant i had to pay the full price of the equipment (iirc was about 300 pounds).  actually the installation guy twigged that i wanted it for abroad and had no problem with that.  if you can get the installation guy to just do the subscription for you and not bother with the equipment then you can get the box for next to nothing (eg see: http://tinyurl.com/2ocv3 )

card arrived at uk address and all you need to do is to activate the card by ringing sky (make sure you have send own number switched off if you are calling from a french mobile!) and point the dish at the right bit of sky.  chan 4 is never a problem.  itv and bbc signals weaker but with 80 plus cm dish you will have no problem.

hth
lob

Sorry no image available

Sorry lob, your post got in just before mine, and answered most of my questions before I asked them!

Just one thing though, ans a new customer, how do I get sky subscription without buying a digibox at the same time? Won't they be asking probing questions down at Curries?

Andy

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the dish info...BUT...

I know this question is probably the 'most asked ever' on this forum, but could someone tell me what the procedure is for buying a digibox and sky subscription at an address in the UK and then setting it up down here. I was thinking of buying the dish here to save taking it on the plane, but can I get the digibox here too and only buy the card and subscription in the UK? 

What's this Channel 4, ITV1 problem?

Sorry for such a dull question. We have gone 3 years without a TV but now we are confined to the house each evening with two babies, I need a window on the world to keep me from going mad, and my wife wants to watch Eastenders.

Thanks in advance anyone

Andy

Sorry no image available
Posted by lob-189383 - 14 years ago

watch out getting one down here.  many of the guys installing sky kit are cowboys charging silly money for it. 

best thing to do imo is get a box of ebay for peanuts - sort out your sky subscription at a uk address, buy a dish from leroy merlins (needs to be at least 80cm to pick up bbc) and either spend an entertaining (not) evening trying to find your satellite or get a regular french satellite installation company to do it for you. 

you will save 80% on what the sky installation cowboys charge.

Sorry no image available
Posted by hambakwe-188035 - 14 years ago

Tom,

Apparently there is a guy in our village who does it. Heard no complaints, and he gets the kit down from UK as well if needed.

I will get his name and number and get back to you.