DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Sky Digital

Posted by olyp - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

quote:The telephone connection used to be only required for the first year to get cheap introductory offer and to get box office or pay to view services

Thats true for introductory offers. But for a 2nd box, with the same subscription channels as your first box at a reduced price, they check the telephone line throughout your whole contract period in order to stop people getting a cheap 2nd sub and then passing it on to another person who should be paying the full rate.

Its the only time they do this as far as I know.

(hope that makes sense)

Sorry no image available
Posted by t-stag-180429 - 14 years ago

The telephone connection used to be only required for the first year to get cheap introductory offer and to get box office or pay to view services.  I told them that I didn't have a BT phone anymore just a mobile (UK) number.  No problem after that!Steve

Sorry no image available

Yep - mirrored = 2nd sub at same address at a discounted price - hence the phone check to make sure that the box is dialing from the same phone number as the primary box.  As far as I know, it is the one contract they do check all the time that you have the contract for, for obvious reasons.

Sorry no image available
Posted by olyp - 14 years ago

if mirrored means a second subscription (at same address), then yes.

thanks.

Sorry no image available

quote:one box is in the UK, a second (additional box) is with us in France.

I take it that the box is on a mirrored subscription? If so, they do check that and will take action if the box cannot call back or calls back from a different number.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Myop - 14 years ago

They sure can check Through the phone number you gave when you suscribed and to which your box is presumed to be plugged into.I'm told that checks are random but that when they find an unconnected box they keep trying to connect. After a few wdays of failure the card is disactivated and you have to call Sky to have it switched back on (with the card installed and the box plugged in to the phone).It goes without saying that this can only be done through a UK phone line (for copyright reasons on the broadcast material).