DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

speed dating in nice?

Posted by anonymous livinginnice - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 20)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pumuckel - 16 years ago

Did someone say singles gathering? Larvotto? La Spiaggia? Where ever...

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

May I join you too pleeeease?

Pumuckel

Sorry no image available
Posted by coolas - 16 years ago

ResponsibleAdult:

Never tried this smoking thing you're talking about - but have smoked pretty much anything and everything else, so would be interested to try...

As for the singles gathering - I'd be up for it - all my other friends, without exception are coupled/married.

Let me know.....

I like your tag line by the way.  Would fit me too! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Zeynep-183200 - 16 years ago

<quote>From your name, I and another Nargophile have wondered if you are from Turkey.  (You have been discussed!!)</quote>

Aww, I have been "discussed", have I :-) 

Yes, I am Turkish although people meeting me around here have a hard time believing it - for some reason, most people expect Turks to resemble Arabs (dark skin, dark hair, dark eyes), a race with which we have nothing in common except for the religion, of course...

And the name has provided much amusement. "Your name is.... WHAT?!?" :-)

<quote>I was there for 3 years, then Israel for 3 also.  Hence the habit.  But such a sociable one, don't you think?</quote>

Very. Although, I have to admit, I had smoked the "nargile" (the way we spell it) only twice in all the time I lived in Turkey. Missing all these things you never thought you liked is the only inconvenience of living in the South of France, I find...

Anyway, I'd love to get together for a nargile session. Do you know a place in Nice, for example?

<quote>Will ponder looking decorative on the beach of Monaco. Lots of looks, but men never talk to me.  Same in Monaco?</I>

Not really. Lots of looks and then lots of talking with strangers sitting with you at the same large table is how it generally goes in Monaco. I have met quite a lot of people in bars, restaurants, beach, etc, and none of it was due to me being such a successful flirt. I met one of my best girlfriends in a party, and another on the beach in Monaco. People just talk to each other much easier here than elsewhere, I find, perhaps due to it being such a cosmopolitan place.

Take care,

Zeynep

Sorry no image available
Posted by theresponsibleadult-188195 - 16 years ago

Have been to Nocy Be a few times - old Nice.  I am about to acquire, again, my own pipe which will be Chez Moi, Cannes. 

From your name, I and another Nargophile have wondered if you are from Turkey.  (You have been discussed!!)  I was there for 3 years, then Israel for 3 also.  Hence the habit.  But such a sociable one, don't you think?  I would be delighted to join you for a convivial puff sometime.

Congrats on the pending nuptuals. 

Will ponder looking decorative on the beach of Monaco.  Nice, Cannes and Juan les Pins did not yield any results this past summer and autumn.  Lots of looks, but men never talk to me.  Same in Monaco?

Any other singles want to gather there.....?

**Mummy told me once too often that I wasn't setting a good example; now I just strive to be a terrible warning.**

Sorry no image available
Posted by Zeynep-183200 - 16 years ago

ResponsibleAdult - "Narghilla habits"??? Where exactly do you smoke narghilla on the CdA? I would be interested to join you one day :-)

As for bachelors aged 30-40 - Pretty much all men are bachelors in Monaco, and there are quite a few in the 30-40 age brackett (I am taking one out of the market pretty soon, heh. Sorry! :-))) Hang out on the beach in Larvotto (La Spiaggia, the yellow one, for example) in summer or even in the months leading to summer from January onwards, and I pretty much guarantee you will meet quite a few men.

Regards,

Zeynep

Sorry no image available

If there are, they are distressingly shy.

If I find a convent tolerant of my Guinness and narghilla habits, I may be taking the veil soon.

**Mummy told me once too often that I wasn't setting a good example; now I just strive to be a terrible warning.**

Sorry no image available

Responsibleadult,

Well fair enough then.  Though it's rather a disheartening to think that there aren't any (decent) men in our age group (I'm mid 30s) around.  Don't any single 30s-40s live in CdA??

Sorry no image available

Coolas:

I did not at all intend to sound contemptuous of speed dating.  Obviously I did, though, because in addition to your post I received a sound verbal spanking from a couple I am close to, who are delirously happy, and met by......yes, speed dating. (I had no idea of that fact before they read my 'needles in my eyes' posting)

I am truly all for any means by which people meet each other and are happy. 

I what I meant in my previous postings was that I would not be comfortable (read as scared to death) doing that.  Also, it has been my personal experience that 4 or 5 minutes talking to a person is usually not enough time for me to know if it is someone I would like to get to know better.  I have met some men that at first I have thought were real jerks, but after some time, often several meetings I have found them to be rather nice.  Unfortunately, I have had many experiences the other way 'round, too.

I am a woman in my mid forties, slim, very fit, reasonably attractive and have for the last 2 years only dated men at least 10 years younger than me.  Not because they are the only ones I would consider, but because as you said, there don't appear to be older single men around.

If you look at that speed dating website, you will see that they are not interested in having women (or men) of my age participate.

Also, notice in my first post, I asked people to write about their experiences.  I did that because I want to know about it.  Other than one comedy television episode I knew nothing about it.  I am capable of having my mind changed about things. I can also be a bit sarky, which doesn't always come across well in a chat forum.

Sorry no image available

Responsibleadult - why such contempt for something you've never even tried?  I mean I've been down here two years now, and despite being goodlooking, slim and cool as... I haven't even run into one semi-interesting guy.  Surely there'd be an outside chance that out of the 20 or so men you'd meet there'd be somebody vaguely interesting amongst them?  And as awful as they might be, if you're only with them for 4 minutes - how bad could it possibly be?

Though have to say, I'm sort of resigned to the fact that there are practically no single 30-40 something men down here...? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by anonymous livinginnice - 16 years ago

Hi Amy,

Sorry that I respond so late. After work I don't always feel like to put my computer on......again.

Of course you will hear everything after I have tried it out. Seems like fun to me. I expect to meet all kinds of nationalities like english, australians, french, dutch, danish, etc. Sounds interesting.

By the way, did you know that it's free to inscribe? I didn't understand it myself at first so I asked them. After inscription they will send you a 'where/when' email (after they have enough people) then you can either respond something like "yes, I will attend" (in that case you pay within 5 working days otherwise they will replace you) or you decide not to atttend (because you have something else that evening or whatever) and you just don't pay. Simple.

I hope the speeddate is before Christmas. Maybe I meet a reason to stay here instead of going home (ha ha).