DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Tips for watching Monaco GP

Posted by SirLurkalot - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosetta-185721 - 13 years ago

Missed it this year - was just too late to get organized from the UK, but won't make that mistake again! When do we know when the 2005 Grand Prix is on?? Going to some forward planning this time ie, book an rental apartment NOW. Would Nice be too far to travel - seems to be a lot cheaper than Monaco and I've heard there's a boat from Nice port to monaco - would be a nice way to get there. Please let me know if you have any idea when the dates for next year are announced!

thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by RJH-187583 - 13 years ago

May be of interest to some on this thread...

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,1242756,00.html

cheers,

Jamie

Sorry no image available
Posted by NH-189638 - 14 years ago

I have gone to the race for the last 15 years and once (and only once) from the rocher (when I was student and on a budget). It was the most miserable experience I have ever had and if ever I have the choice to do it again I would refuse, even if I was paid. For a start it's not free, only testing on Thursday is, you then pay for the qualifying and the race.

You get your access to the rocher then its a free for all, you can grab a spare bit of road, wall, cliff edge or if you are lucky and agile enough you can sit up a tree. Bearing in mind that all this time you will be fighting for 'prime' viewing space with a load of Schumacher fanatics.

In order to get a 'good' place (I use the word loosely) you have to arrive very early, then you're sat or standing out all day from early in the morning until at least 4 in the afternoon.

Facilities are limited, the cars that you see resemble ants and not cars and above all it uncomfortable.

The tribunes are more expensive, but no more than other GP venues and in fact is cheaper than similar seats at Silverstone.

Sorry no image available
Posted by menthal - 14 years ago

Are spectators on the Rock generally standing or sitting? 

Both.  The Rock is just access, it's a free for all, first come first serve.  So it depends on where you're planning on going what to bring.

It would be a long time to stand.  You refer to both “dig out seats” and “best place to stand”.  In the context of sitting or standing, what do you mean by “something sturdy to stand on to raise yourself 2+foot above anybody in front of you”.  Does this mean that if you’re not standing on a box, you won’t see much?  How much is your view blocked by people immediately in front of you?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

On the ramparts it's a road so is level so if you're not at the front standing or sat or straddled on the wall then it's a bit dicey as to whether you going to see much.  The ramparts consequently doesn't take that many people before it becomes too full to get a decent a view.

On the hill - DIRECTLY beneath the rampart wall - is the next best alternative, but you have to clamber up the side of the hill (no official paths/steps you're pulling yourself up on tree branches/roots!!!!)

Beneath the main viewing part of the hill (above the path leading up to the palace which comes from the road leading up to the Rock) are other places to stand/sit but I think you're now too low and too obstructed by buildings/trees to have a good vantage point.

On the ramparts you're probably standing unless you've gotten there early enough to get a seat on the wall.  Many people bring foldup chairs to sit on right in front of the wall, or just sit on the wall.  Others bring stepladders (or even beer crates, funny chairs from Porsche that have a wooden platfrom across the arms) to stand on to get above those in front.  If you're by yourself then yes you're standing for a LONG time, if you're with others you can take it in turn to hold the fort!

On the hill people bring foldup chairs too, and others deface the hill with spades to dig out seats - it's quite unbelievable it's tolerated.  You don't need stepladders as the hill being rather steep if you standing/sitting behind somebody a few feet in front of you you're normally got good enough clearance over them to see.  Getting on/off the hill is probably a one-time affair so bring all your food and have good bladder control!

... maybe cause I'm fit and able and no kids etc etc I have no issues with the Rock and its no allocated seat policy and unrulyness :-)

Could you please describe in more detail where the “disabled tribune” is?  Is it down near track level, or up at the top of the hill?

You walk up to the place on the path and you come out on the square by Grimaldi as a monk statue, you go left along the road (Rue de Ramparts IIRC).  Walk until the road veers right (400m) away from the ramparts, there's a little tower with and the tribune is right there constructed on the pavement/road.

Hope that helps for next time - just reccy it all on the Thurs/Fri when it's free and set your alarm early :-)

At least it's easier viewing F1 than WRC, I've been along to Monte and San Remo twice and it's damned hard getting any info on where to stand/park and since the stages normally start 9ish you're wanting to arrive 7ish which means getting up at 4ish!!!!!!  Motorsport is seen on TV, and only felt in person (unless you're really lucky)!

Sorry no image available
Posted by SirLurkalot - 14 years ago

Menthal,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for your very useful tips.  (Anyone else got any along the same lines as Menthal’s?) 

Are spectators on the Rock generally standing or sitting?  It would be a long time to stand.  You refer to both “dig out seats” and “best place to stand”.  In the context of sitting or standing, what do you mean by “something sturdy to stand on to raise yourself 2+foot above anybody in front of you”.  Does this mean that if you’re not standing on a box, you won’t see much?  How much is your view blocked by people immediately in front of you?

Could you please describe in more detail where the “disabled tribune” is?  Is it down near track level, or up at the top of the hill?

Scott,

I sort of agree with your point that the live spectators get a bad deal, since the organisers know they’ll sell out to suckers.  That’s why I wrote earlier that the day itself is best watched on TV at home, with occasional visits on Thursdays.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Hi Sports Fans!

Found at the back of my garage ! 1985 exclusive souvenir of Keke Rosberg's win at the Monaco GP F1 . Contact me by the e-mail link for more details ! ( I have photos )

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by scott-182097 - 14 years ago

"The only thing you can hope for in the tribunes is somebody wipes out right in front of you" says more than I ever could about this 'sport' and I now rest my case.

Thanks sports fans

scott

Sorry no image available

Well the Rock gives outstanding value for money compared to the tribunes IMHO.  From the Rock you can see from the tunnel exit all the way round the pool/port up to the start/finish (depending on where you stand).  Ok you need binocs for the tunnel exit stuff to see any major detail and also to watch the big TV.  Also because of its elevation you can look down on the circuit far more unobstructed than you can from the tribunes (where you have to stare through the wire netting). 

I'm sure some of the tribunes are ok, ie the ones that have corner views so you can see something interesting, but in general even the best tribunes only give you a fraction view of the track compared to the Rock, and the cars zip by so fast you barely have chance to register who's who.  The only thing you can hope for in the tribunes is somebody wipes out right in front of you, otherwise the only point of being there is to get deaf and bored.

So my take on it is the tribunes are for the ignorant or insecure and you don't half pay through the nose for that privilege.

PS Soz about the previous double posting

Sorry no image available
Posted by NH-189638 - 14 years ago

My advice for watching from the rock is don't. The price is 50 euros for a very good reason.You get what you pay for.

Sorry no image available

Went to the GP on Sunday and it was good, lots of action.

Last year I reccied the viewing spots on the Thurs practice day and discovered that sector Rocher (the Rock) from the ramparts is by far the best spot (beats all the tribunes IMHO as you can 1/2 the circuit).  On the Thurs it's free and you can see a reasonable amount, on Sat it's E40 and Sun E50.  However, the ticket ONLY gives you access, you don't have an allocated seat so if you want a decent spot you have to turn damned early.  On Sun this year we turned up at 8am and the best spots (right next to and near the disabled tribune) were already taken.  Because I had my frailish Dad and his partner I didn't want to risk clambering up the hill which still had plenty of good spots - I was on the hill last year and it was fantastic (many bring spades to dig out seats!!).

So my advice for sector Rocher viewing is:

turn up very early before 8am.  BTW I also park on or just above the Moyen Corniche, near the Exotic Gardens. bring good binocs, normally you can see 1/2 big TVs bring something sturdy to stand on to raise yourself 2+foot above anybody in front of you (only necessary if on ramparts and don't beat the Germans) if have to go up on the hill climb up by the toilets right to the base of the ramparts then walk along until almost beneath the disabled tribune (the little tower with the TV camera) Go along to the practice sessions to get an idea of best place to stand.

PS I also went along to the Historic GP, that was really good.  Sat in Tribune T2 which sucks by comparison to Rocher, but at least got an idea of what it's like.  Based on that I think tribune V is the best, have screen right in front, on the tight corner just before the finishing straight, can see them come into the pits and it's a smidge cheaper than T,K.  So saying T,K were where the big car crunches happened this year, so you win so you loose some.