Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.



Posted by pub.valbonne - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 16 years ago

Just for reference, the Peritel connector is better known as a SCART connector in the UK market. The odds are that you French TV will have one (or more) Peritel sockets and your UK VCR will not. If this is the case, you can get an RCA->Peritel adapter at large super/hypermarkets and electrical suppliers. It may come as a cable, or it may simply be a Peritel plug with three RCA connectors on the back (Audio L, Audio R, Video).

If your VCR is old or cheap enough to be mono rather than stereo, then you may want to split the mono audio signal into two rather than feeding it just to one side of the TV, for that you'll need a 2:1 RCA plug in the VCR's Audio Out socket and then run the three-way RCA cable to the Peritel adapter. Such 2:1 plugs can be found in electrical/eectronics stores.


Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 16 years ago

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but just in case you didn't know, you cannot get a UK PAL VCR to play on a French dual standard PAL/SECAM TV if you are going through the old style of connecting the UHF antenna leads.  You may manage to tune your TV to the picture, but not to the sound due to differences in the PAL standards between the UK and the continent.

Therefore, avoid UHF antenna connections by making sure you are connecting your audio and video outputs of your VCR to the A/V inpts on the TV.  The French TV will almost certainly have these presented in a Peritel format, whereas your UK VCR may have a Peritel or may have more universal RCA-style connectors.  In the latter case, you'll need a converter cable.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 16 years ago

The French TV should have a setting such as 'system' which will switch it between the French SECAM standard and the UK (and a lot of the rest of the world) PAL system.

It is probably in a front panel near the tuning controls, it could also be duplicated on the remote,  and might even be on the back of the set. It is almost certain to have one though unless it is quite old.