DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

US Shows

Posted by Breeze-188056 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jmroberts-180597 - 15 years ago

You can go here:

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/

For the French yellow pages. Very useful!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Breeze-188056 - 15 years ago

Thanks a lot.

Breeze

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendy-179831 - 15 years ago

Hi Breeze

Castorama is a chain of hardware-and-more stores with branches on the outskirts of Antibes, Cannes, Nice and Fontvieille and more. Very handy for general home settling in stuff: paint, wood, nails etc, and satellite kit.

See this page: http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/hwshop.asp.

Their Web site seems to be down right now, but if you go to the Pages Jaunes phone books you'll be able to find the branch closest to you. Some even have English-speakers on the in store help desks at times.

Pages Jaune: http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/phonebooks.asp (Just type "Castorama" in the "surname" field on the left box and you'll get the results).

Sorry no image available

Hi,Sorry for being so dense.  Is Castorama a website, a store?

thanks.

Breeze

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

Go to Castorama - it's a simple an approach as any.

Sorry no image available

Thanks Mike for all the info.

If I want to get CanalSatellite what do I have to do?  Who do I have to call?

Thanks a lot.

Breeze

PS yeah, ER is still running!

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

Hi Breeze,

I don't know about ER (is it still running?) but you get a lot of US series on French cable TV and, especially on satellite - with CanalSatellite probably the one to go for over TPS because of the large amounts of VM (see below) programming.

If you set up your satellite receiver correctly, shows that are distributed in VM (version multilangue) will be in your choice of VF or VO - so you can watch Friends, NYPD Blue, Law and Order, The Drew Carey Show, Six Feet Under, The Jerry Springer Show, The Osbornes, Road Rules, The Sopranos and a lot more in English. You also get CNN, BBC World and a bunch of, um, minor channels that broadcast in English. If you pony up for the movie channels, a lot of the films are in VM or VO too....

Cable does have a lot of the channels that show these, but I can't swear that VM is supported, so you could well be restricted to the (relatively rare) VO transmissions.

The final option is to go for a dodgy Sky Digital box. While this site's barrack-room lawyers will undoubtedly insist that this is all perfectly legal, the people who run the company (and, especially, those that sell product to it) would beg to differ - and they probably have better legal people. With a so-called Free to Air card (FTA - wrongly-named because genuine FTA channels are not encrypted) you can get the UK terrestrial channels and a few others. But you are a) being at least moderately naughty and b) running the risk of having a system that jsut stops working because "they" change the encryption or whatever - not that this has happened yet. Oh, and it costs a lot more than a French satellite system.

You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.

Mike