DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Where are best beaches?

Posted by jelena-194116 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Dear all,

i plan to come for the first time to France and Cote d'Azur...

So, i was interested what you guys would recomend as a place to stay... Of course i plan to visit all Cannes, Nica and co, but i would also like to have some time close to the beach for the days without sightseeing...

From what i read, it seems to me that Juan Les Pins is the Nr 1 for beach and sun type of vacation, but i never heard from someone who realy knows the area...

Thanks, any opinion is very welcome :)

Jelena

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by donnahelyer - 14 years ago

Thèoule sur-mer!!!! Crystal clear water and very clean place.

The Riviera Beach Hotel is Nice, Family stay there when they come over.

Or drive through Thèoule ser mer along the coast heading for St Raphaèl and there are loads of lovely little beach's along the way.

I know of other place's BUT! i'm not telling.

Sorry no image available
Posted by hewe - 14 years ago

Eze Plage, Maya Plage (Cap d'Ail), Paloma Plage (St.Jean Cap Ferrat). Not always sand but beautiful spots.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Paul Carmel-190537 - 14 years ago

Corsica

Sorry no image available
Posted by Zoia-188565 - 14 years ago

I would say the very nice sand beaches are in SanRemo. Not as dirty as in Cannes and very nice environment. As for possible free parking  spaces and security - Larvotto in Monaco is the best.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

If it's your first trip, stay in Nice if you want to take day trips to travel to a lot of other places. There are buses and trains going everywhere. Then when you are ready for a quiet beach holiday, you can go stay in La Napoule for a few day. If you walk east for about 15-20 minutes you'll find lots of nice beaches. From La Napoule it's also possible to go to places like Agay and the Cap d'Esterel to do some hiking.

In La Napoule I can recommend La Villa Parisiana as a nice, inexpensive place to stay.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tina Liu - 14 years ago

For the clearest water, I prefer beaches near St. Tropez although there are not much public transport and it tends to be an expensive town.  If you are into the party scene, Nikki Beach is a must see and the beach where it is located is fabulous.

Tina Liu

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

There is a long public beach just west of Cannes that goes all the way to Mandelieu.  At night you can walk to Cannes, and towards Mandelieu you have all sorts of sports available.  You can cycle up to the Esterel national park and there is an A8 access near Mandelieu.

If you still find the beaches too crowded you can take the ferry from Cannes to the Lerin islands for the day.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

quote:And how is the situation between Antibes and Cannes, all so crouded

Are you kidding?  These beaches are stacked with heaving masses of tourists from June 20-something until September 10-something.  Driving/Parking is so much of a nightmare that it negates the benefit of being on the beach.  Even if you can walk to the beach from your hotel or whatever, you will compete for square centimetres of space.  Once, in late September, I slept on my beach towel early in the morning on the public beach in Cannes and awoke a couple of hours later to find the beach had filled up so much that someone had stuck their parasol stake through the corner of my towel.  It is THAT bad.

Why on earth would you come to the Riviera on holiday if you don't appreciate crowded beaches?  I know that many people are different from me and do actually enjoy the beach/sun/deckchair type of Riviera holiday but in that case you better accept crowds and high prices.

Nice times to be had with smaller crowds commence right now until early June (except for Easter). 

Nothing personal jelena - but if I knew of a nice secluded beach, I wouldn't tell you about it in a public forum like this. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by jelena-194116 - 14 years ago

Huh, doesn't sound too promising... I hope it's for the beaches close to centre but what about a bit outside? And how is the situation between Antibes and Cannes, all so crouded :( ?  

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Juan Les Pins is great if you like fighting for parking, sitting in traffic jams, paying for a deckchair or a few square inches of space on the beach, the smell of sweat and sun oil, children and dogs running over you, absurd prices for snacks and drinks on the beach,  and sullen scowling people who are sick of tourists.

If tranquillity and space are more what you are looking for, then you need to go further west.  The decent beaches start west of Cannes.