DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Where Does Everyone Go For a Drink at Night ??

Posted by anthonyb-187880 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by frederic savin - 13 years ago

we are a couple living in Vence. Julia is German and Fred is French . We have a daugther (5 years old) .

If we can help us, tell us here or call us . our phone is 0493243519. We will do what we can to help you .

Frédéric

Speak English enough to be here... and a good French !

Sorry no image available
Posted by FleurA - 14 years ago

I've just read Dublin Mike's work of art of 30/10/03.  Brilliant.  Are the irish injected with a sense of humour at birth or something?  I used to think they just came across as humourous because of their accent, but now I see the humour in print...

I'm a kiwi girl (of irish decent actually) who arrived here in June, planning to stay here for 6 weeks before heading off to Dublin, Ireland to work.  I met a french man, fell in love and stayed (in saying that, we broke up last week!).  When I read such works of art like Dublin Mike's email, I'm beginning to wonder just why I chose to stay here....  :What is better: the french kiss, or the irish humour?????

Sorry no image available
Posted by telim - 14 years ago

Mike did mention the Bar des Oiseaux. (It's in rue de l'Abbaye - the rue exactly behind Waynes, so when you find Waynes you're sorted)

The bar has recently changed hands & now there is a more international mixture of people there.

I was there last Saturday night, and the music was really brilliant. There was a 5euro cover charge including a drink & the atmosphere was really great. Although sometimes it can be hard to find a seat.

It's usually live jazz music they play with a great mixture of musicians of all ages and levels.

Although in saying that, myself and my boyfriend live in old Nice, and we do find ourselves watching more and more dvds as the weeks go buy. I don't know what it is, maybe we are just turning into boring old farts....

Well best of luck in finding where everyone is, and a babysitter.....

might see you in old Nice some night

Happy new year

Sorry no image available
Posted by draz_dee - 14 years ago

Hello all,

Myself and my girlfriend (she is Irish and I'm French) moved to Golfe Juan in September and like you all are having a hard time meeting people. OK so I'm French and should have no problem on the communication side and making friends with French people but i lived in Dublin for nearly 1 year and I have to agree with what you are all saying about it being so boring here with over priced pubs.

Anyway, if any of you are going out anywhere between cannes and nice for a coffee, lunch, cinema, a drink or a night on the tear we would be very interested in hearing from you. We are both 23.
Here's my mobile number 06 68 15 48 69 and my email julien.cambon@laposte.net …………..

Julien and Dee

Sorry no image available
Posted by Collie21 - 14 years ago

Good parking in Nice?? You gotta be joking.......not before 9 at night till every one goes home and not after 9:10pm when the others come out......Really nice to know I'm not the only one browned off.hey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by pamcneill - 14 years ago

Dublinmike and Anthony are SOOOOO right! My husband and I are splitting up and I am stuck with having to go to two places in Vence, as I know the proprietors and can have a laugh. All my friends are elsewhere or occupied with their families, and it's really hard to know where to go - especially as a woman - to meet people and just have a pleasant time for an evening. Vence certainly has become a dead town compared to what it was a few years ago. Unfortunately the French stop spending on entertainment when the economy is suffering, whereas in the UK, we are quite happy to go and live in a tent as long as we can still go out and have fun!Can anyone perhaps suggest a good parking spot in Nice? I hate going there because spaces are so difficult to find and the car parks are horrendously expensive ...PMcN

Sorry no image available
Posted by Collie21 - 14 years ago

Dublin Mike you couldn't have said it better, not only getting to pub is different but forget getting the bus. Town in Nice closes down by 930pm and that leaves old Nice. Not a bad place to hang out but the effort and cost is hardly worth it. I thought Dublin was the most expensive city in Europe but the pints here are twice the price. I am somewhat shy to make first contact but always make up for lost time. Your doors sound exactly like me. Ouvert tout le temps and not just for the want of a decent lockhey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by irisheyes-192152 - 14 years ago

to Arron or others in ST.tropez Grimode area

Yes your right, things are certanilly different here. Arron , Munroe's is a bit lets say not Irish style, but the staf in le bohem are good people and a good pub. gosh does she ever stop giving out free drink, I am curious as to your nationality. There is a close knit set in Port Grimoud and it takes time for the longtimers to accept the new comers unfortunitally.  

give us a call for a drink some time

063 2234722

Sorry no image available
Posted by ekiglehe-185897 - 14 years ago

Hi Anthony,

While I can't really help you with the social scene, I may be able to make it easier for you to go out by offering to babysit your three boys sometime while you and your wife go out and get yourselves a good time. I'm a 20 year old American and I'm currently working as a nanny here on the Riviera, so I can provide you with any needed recommendations. Just give me an email if you are interested and good luck with the social scene!Thanks, Elissa

ekiglehe@edisto.cofc.edu

Sorry no image available
Posted by Julia-180786 - 14 years ago

Hopefully it opens at Christmas - I'll post an open invitation here for everyone interested. The address is Rue Penchienatti near the Modern Art Museum. Hope to meet you soon.TTFNJulia PreeceMobile 06 16 37 66 91