DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Any help on a child going into SEGPA college

Posted by peacocks-308583 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by peacocks-308583 - 6 years ago

There are some great places around for culinary skills, we have to help them work with what they are best at and if being academic isn't one of them the it's up us as parents to steer them in the right direction my son isn't really academic either, maths he's good at but anything to do with language well don't go there. This dysphasia means he has the language skills of an 8-9 year old and he's almost 13, but he's intelligence is that of a 16 year old !!!!! But the schools here are just not equipped for a child with any form of learning difficulties which is sad for the child.Wishing your family all the best

Sorry no image available
Posted by Qwertrew - 6 years ago

Glad to know the school visits went well. My son has both dyslexia and dsypraxia and learning any Latin based language is a challenge. Maths is also another struggle. We are hoping to pick a school where he can learn a skill (Eg. culinary) as the main focus instead of the academic aspect.

Good luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by peacocks-308583 - 6 years ago

We visited a college in antibes last week and my son really was impressed there is only 16 to a class so coming from a class of 27 this was great for him. We visit another in Cagnes on Thursday. He has support workers who work with him twice a week plus his orthophonist twice a week so I'm happy for them to point us in the right direction.He doesn't have a severe learning disability he's partially deaf and has dysphasia. French is a challenge which in turn makes SVT, history etc a challenge too. Even English is a challenge he has the same retarde in French as he does in English, dysphasia is a strange thing.Thank you so much for your input. Other than SEGPA it a school for deaf kids and that's a road we don't wish to go down.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Qwertrew - 6 years ago

Hi Peacocks,

You may also want to explore schools with adapted programmes. Our son was proposed to a SEGPA school as he has learning difficulties but we felt that a school with an adapted programme and smaller class size could be a better option than SEGPA. It is likely we will make the change at the next school term.