DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Good schools

Posted by trajectory - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

Marti,

I'm presuming your 5 and a half year old daughter will be 6 by September.  Your 2 year old son I am presuming may well be three by December?  If you read the many school posts in this forum, you'll find that your choices are the following.  I list them in my personally recommended order of preference ;

For your daughter;

Part private anglo/part public franco e.g. Haut Sartoux or Mougins-le-Haut (moderate cost but tough entrance exams though - must be regitered by April)Local primary public school  (good quality, no choice - school designated by the commune unless you have COMPELLING argument for a school in another commune)State-funded religious (e.g. le soeurs in Le Rouret, great school if you can handle Catholic administration)Full private Anglophone e.g. Mougins School or International School of Nice (very anglo focus, pricy - suitable short term)

For your son;

Local maternelle (excellent quality - designated by the commune if you are lucky with places and them accepting him at less than three years old - or perhaps on a part-time basis until he is three).Nourrice (a qualified childminder who will take your child into her home or come to yours).  There are plenty available you need to personally interview thm.Communale creche (not sure for your area - but surely limited in hours)Private nursery (e.g. Montessori)

Good Luck,  let us know if you need more info on a particular option.

Sorry no image available
Posted by marti-185664 - 15 years ago

Hi Sheila

read your message on the forum, very interesting, we are moving to roquefort les pins as of 1 August and I am completely at a loss where to start on the whole school thing.  I have a 5 1/2 yr old girl and a 2 yr old boy, so i am looking for someone to reccomend a good school for my daughter and a good nursery where my little one will be happy.  Any advice at all will be really gratefully received as the schooling issue is giving me many sleepless nights at the mo.

many thanks

martine

Sorry no image available
Posted by sheila bardon - 15 years ago

Arleene- many apologies struck down by the 'flu so not been on line for a while. Our younger children are at Roquefort les Pins ecole primaire. As in the UK each state school has a catchment area so your choices are restricted by your location. Having said that, apart from the some of the inner city schools, I have yet to hear a bad report about the state infants/junior schools locally. The only thing I would stress is the need for one parent to have a working knowledge of french, and to develop a working relationship with the teachers.For the under 4's a picture card (similar to that used by stroke victims) showing a glass of water, a toilet, washing hands and sleeping child would probably prove invaluable to all concerned during the first few days.Maybe also useful to teach a few catch phrases at home now in readiness ex. Faire pipi j'ai soif s'il te plait lave tes mains c'est a moiIn reassurance though, the children seem to find it all pretty painless and will be swapping between languages with ease long before you can!sheila

Sorry no image available
Posted by arleene - 15 years ago

Sheila,

What state school are your children attending?  We are considering a move to the south of france and are very concerned/interested in the schools - my children are 5 and 3.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Arleene

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dirk-183621 - 15 years ago

Hi Sheila

What international school you sent your son?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks

Dirk

Sorry no image available
Posted by sheila bardon - 15 years ago

We moved here 2 years ago with three sons in tow, aged between 5 and 11. The eldest we sent to an international school for 4 terms and the laidback atmosphere didn't suit his character (self motivation is not a term he understands!) It also cost us an arm AND both legs every month for him to stuff around! So despite dire warnings from all & sundry, we sent him and his pigeon French to the local state college and have been very pleased with the results, after three terms he is fluent and holding his own. We threw the younger two straight into French state school,without a word of French between them and both were bilingual within six months, and the younger is now top of his class. We speak english at home so they have kept their mother tongue, the middle boy was an avid reader before we moved and has remained so but now reads equally well in both languages. The younger had only just started reading in English before we moved and it has been a real labour of love to keep that up (thanks to the OUP reading tree scheme) as he prefers to read in French as he says it makes more sense!The French schools seem far more disciplined than the english ones, at ours the children stand against the playground wall at playtime as punishment for classroom misdemeanors. They rarely carry out the same mischief twice. There is a real emphasis on rote learning of facts and figures especially in the junior schools, which I have heard criticized. Personally I think that learning and retaining chunks of information is a useful skill and will serve them well in later life.We are happy that at the moment our children are recieving a better education here. Wether we will still be as happy at Bac level I can't say.sheila