DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Info on becoming a resident for schools and health cover?

Posted by rebecca d - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by 785biot@gmail.com - 5 years ago

Well done laughingboy exactly the same as I stated. but more informative. No free healthcare if you are not working nor have money. Sorry

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

It depends where you're you coming from - another EU country or from outside the UK?

If from e.g. the UK, you don't 'apply' to become resident, but you do have to meet certain criteria in order to be entitled to live here legally. Basically, as said, you either need to be working in France and contributing to the French system, or you need to be able to prove that you have sufficient private means that you will not become a burden on the state - i.e. you can pay for your own healthcare and you will not require any financial assistance or benefits for at least the first 5 years of living here.

There is no such thing as 'free' health cover in France, it is never free at the point of delivery. If you meet the conditions for legal residence and are accepted into the French state healthcare system, around 70% of medical costs will be covered by the state; you can meet the remaining 30% yourself, or you can take out varying levels of top-up insurance to cover some or all of this 30%. If you don't qualify for entry into the French welfare system, you would need full private health insurance for the family.

(You say you're moving to France shortly and would like info on becoming resident - that sounds the wrong way round to me, would it not be safer to obtain the info first, and then you will be able to decide whether moving to France is a possibility or not...?)

 

Sorry no image available
Posted by 785biot@gmail.com - 5 years ago

You can only get all that, by working for a company or be indipended. If non of the 2 chocies you have to pay your self.