DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Moving to Sophia Antipolis region

Posted by psheridan-319808 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by pennychanteuse - 6 years ago

EBICA is a bilingual international school/ It is a very good school that has only been around for 6 years. It is opening on a new site from September and it looks amazing. I regret not being able to put my kids in as well but as I live in the centre of Nice is made more sense to put them into school there. Ecole Bilingue Internationale de Cote d'Azur....www.ebicaschool.com/en

Sorry no image available
Posted by psheridan-319808 - 6 years ago

Thanks again for all the replies, emails etc. Yesterday we signed for an apartment rental in Valbonne village. The children are registered for Campouns and Daudet respectively. We'll start to look to purchase a place in a year or two, if we see that work is a little more stable this time around :)

Sorry no image available

So, I've learned a valuable lesson, rental properties around the area do not stay available for long. We'd seen a house right by the centre of Valbonne, but delayed a few days thinking it over, and it was taken by somebody else in the interim. The search goes on...

Sorry no image available
Posted by ereiamjh-229420 - 6 years ago

Paul, it sounds like things are looking up. I think any of the schools in Valbonne are good, but the village seems particularly sought-after. I think it would be great to live in the village if you can, but you have to make sure you have parking. What's great about Ile Verte is that there is a supermarket right there and it's open on Sunday mornings. In the village there is the cinema and there are lots of events happening all year long.

During the school vacations, the Centre de Loisirs is rarely held in the village - it's usually between Ile Verte and Haut Sartoux. The village did host it last winter, but it was a lot of trouble for them because they ended up having to open up the Maternelle for just a few children because the toilets in Daudet weren't adapted for them. Also, I believe the Wednesday Centre de Loisirs is at Haut Sartoux.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sailir06 - 6 years ago

Campoun and Daudet in Valbonne are great schools. All my three children have been there or are currently on them. When the eldest went to college two years ago, the first 6 months where simple repetition of stuff he already did at Campoun. That says a lot about the school as college start with the average of what comes in. And it's not only my experience, but from almost all the parents.

Second thing is that sending them to a French school helps to integrate much better. In general the kids on the international sections have English friends, watch Sky TV and lead an UK live here in France......

For rental places, check seloger.com and for the Valbonne area contact Gersud Immo in Valbonne.That will be the best chances for a rental house and there is more than enough for rent in the area, but the average agent will lead you to buying (they make 2 months rent or 6% of the purchase price, what would you do ....)

Good luck ;-)

Sorry no image available

Well, things are starting to look up, at least we've got to visit a couple of houses. One possible house is right in the the centre of Valbonne, the other is in "Ile Verte". Does anybody have any feedback (positive or negative) re: Campouns and Ile Verte schools? My son would be entering CP in September, and my daughter, MS in Maternelle. I'd also welcome any feedback regarding daily life in the respective areas.
Paul

Sorry no image available

So, after a couple of days there scoping out the area, the two towns which really drew out attention are Mouans-Sartoux and Valbonne. However, it was a bit of disheartening 2 days, because we looked in the windows of more than 20 estate agents, and entered 9 or 10 of them only to be told the same story: nothing for rent long term, here everything goes by word of mouth, we concentrate on sales only etc. We managed to see ONE place, but it was far too small (51m2). I did leave a message with one estate agents for a house I'd seen on "Le Bon Coin" in Mouans Sartoux, and they called me to organise a viewing. It seemed to be ideal, small 3 bedroom place with a garage in a closed domaine, but as we were waiting in front of the main gate, I get another call from the agency cancelling it because they say the owner has decided to rent it to a friend :(
Does anybody know of any people who may be leaving a currently-rented property, or somebody who will be putting their property to rent in the near future?
CheersPaul

Sorry no image available
Posted by hermosabeach - 6 years ago

Hi, PaulWelcome to the area. Please feel free to contact me both about areas to live and about schools. I understand that both of the topics can be challenging ones!
The first thing you will want to look at (probably) is the commute...both to work and to school. Also, you mention that you would like your children to be in a school where they can practice their English. There are several Montessori schools in the area that are well under the 1000E/mo per child that you have seen. They each have varying levels of English. Some are bilingual while others have English in the school without formal writing and reading in English.
Good luck with the move and definitely contact me if you would like more information!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kate Piercy - 6 years ago

Both my children go to school in Mouans Sartoux and we are very happy with the school there. The french education system is different from the UK, but it does educate your children and they will be taught to read and write - which is more than can be said for some schools in the UK!! There is a good mix of backgrounds at the school and quite a few english speaking families, so the school does have good experience with biligual children.
Please feel free to contact me by email if you need any other help/information. I still remember what a minefield it felt like when we first arrived!!
Kate

Sorry no image available

Does anybody have an experiences of the public schools (maternelle and primaire) in Valbonne / Mouans-Sartoux? As Christopher confirmed, it' a bit late in the day for looking at private options, and we are not necessarily insistent on them attending a private school - they are currently in the local public maternelle of our village near to Aix. Then again, for public schools I feel it can depend largely from school to school, and neighbourhood to neighbourhood.
Thanks in advancePaul