DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Moving with husbands job - education issues

Posted by nix66 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by nix66 - 6 years ago

It is another option, but we really do think that we have this amazing opportunity to experience another country and culture and it would be great to all be involved.
As a 'naval family' we have spent the majority of our time apart, sometimes up to 7 months with my husband away at sea. The last few years have seen a lot of this and the reason we were happy to accept this post is because it is married accompanied and would mean that we can be a family (my youngest is only 2 1/2 yrs and in that time has hardly seen his father). We will be doing the weekend only part from now until next summer anyway, but at least Daddy is home at a decent time on Friday and here until late on Sunday. A commute to and from France would mean airport pickups and drop offs and would impact on the weekend.
This commute could happen but only if I find that husband is going to sea again with the French Navy - I will not be happy then and would definitely consider returning home - although if we're all settled and enjoying our time there it will be fine and I'll happily stay.

I'm starting to veer towards the French local school again - I know it will tough for them for at least 2 or 3 months but I am sure they'll adapt and they will have something that I hope will stay with them for life - the French language.
There's a lot of 'ifs' and 'what ifs' at the moment, which is a little frustrating.

Sorry no image available
Posted by WizardofOz-226715 - 6 years ago

Hello To all the family,

I'm sure you've already thought this one through - but if you are most definitely returning to the UK in 3 years or so - would it be an idea for your hubby to find a nice pied-à-terre in Toulon mon-fri and commute from the Uk to avoid all the upheaval for the Kids? (and you could all come over here for the hols...)
Ryanair flies to quite a few destinations in the Uk for reasonable prices.
Just a thought - but good luck to you all whatever you do - it's very hard to make such a big decision :)