DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Piano

Posted by WillMan-233283 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ms H-I-223211 - 5 years ago

Sorry, that sounds a bit strange! I meant other English speaking piano teachers also put students in for the AB exams.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ms H-I-223211 - 5 years ago

I give piano lessons as do other piano teachers. We put students in for the Associated Board exams. There are centres here where the students take the exams every year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by WillMan-233283 - 5 years ago

that's fantastic, thanks very much for all this great info - i'll pursue it.  Happy Christmas !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ferney-France - 5 years ago

I asked the teacher, so it is as I said earlier , 3 cycles, with 4 levels in each. However, there aren't set pieces. These are chosen by the schools themselves but from one school to another these would be about the same level of difficulty. My kids do the exam at the teacher's house and teachers from other schools come along too. A conservatoire has the same sort of system and chooses it's own pieces.

The exam system isn't really that important here, and if your kid wanted to go and study music at a a conservatoire or elsewhere, it wouldn't matter that much if he had no certificates. They would just be judged on their ability.

Another thing kids do a lot here is participate in concours. My kdis have done a few of these and I prefer them to the exams they do. There's a nice one in Cannes called the http://www.claudekahn.info/concours.htm

and this one http://www.concours-musical-de-france.com/fr/programme.htm in Nice

Sorry no image available

That would be great.  Just trying to understand how it works.  Presumably there are set pieces and then exam dates & locations...

Sorry no image available

No that I know of. This page has some info

http://pianoweb.free.fr/cursus-ecole.php/

What do you want to know exactly and I'll ask the teacher tomorrow

Sorry no image available

Hi Ferney,

Thanks very much for this info - where can I find out more, is there a website or something ?

Sorry no image available

They don't have exactly the same system here, but they do have levels and exams, depending on the teacher you have.

My kids learnt piano with a teacher for 4 years without doing any exams and just participated in competitions (concours) in Cannes and Nice. Then we moved and have a new teacher who does exams twice a year to move to the next level. These are called Cycles, there are 3 cycles and these each have about 4 levels. When they pass the exam, they get a certificate.

I hope that helps a bit

Sorry no image available

anyone :(