DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Plascassier and or Fenelon primary school

Posted by BSR - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fleury-301617 - 6 years ago

Yes I accept what Magpies says. It is a good school for kids who are academic, serious, and hard working. If the kids are not motivated then its waste of money paying for private school, and the school administration talk about the same.

Sorry no image available
Posted by BSR - 6 years ago

Dear all,Thank you for your comments, I must admit my heart sunk when I read magpies posting.We intend to apply for a position for the start of the new academic school year, September 2012. Our prefered option would be to start straight away in French school then bilingual later hence the Fenelon preference, however we will be purchasing in Plascassier and the school is within walking distance, but I do not know anything about itAgain thank you for your comments.RegardsBryan

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 6 years ago

Ditto on Fenelon - excellent and good luck getting in especially part-way through the year - will be difficult unless a place has become free through departure.
Must however correct Magpies totally erroneous information. The local Mairie is legally obliged to offer you a place in your commune's primary school. There CERTAINLY is special help for children not speaking any French - this is called "FLE" in the jargon (pronounced as "eff-el-er" and stands for Français Langue Étrangere or "French non-mother-tongue") and once again, it is Education Nationale's LEGAL OBLIGATION to ensure your child has the minimum support necessary to succeed. Just politely demand ëff-el-er" and that will set the administration rolling. They may shuffle and roll their eyes and mutter about cutbacks but it is the state's OBLIGATION and your child's right.
Bilingual primary is great but in the semi-public systems mentioned (Haut Sartoux and Mougins) there is already a bilingual expectation and testing at the entry point and then classes are full for the rest of the year so your son won't get in until he is competent. After many years of experience with teachers in this sector, for a child arriving mid-stream like yours, I believe that their advice would be either stay in English-only private system (unrealistic unless for short term). or else full immersion in a French local system (with FLE) and then with option to go to bilingual in say 2 years time which would work out well for your son's secondary school future potential.
Good Luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Magpies-288240 - 6 years ago

I don't think your child will be accepted at Plascassier if she doesn't speak any French. You can try - but in any case as in all French Primary schools, there is no special help. There are very few English speaking children at that school at the moment.
Be wary of claims that Fenelon is the 5th best school in France - they kick out the kids that don't make the grade! It is good if your child is academic, serious, and hard working.

A bilingual class is best if you can find a place - in Mougins or Haut Sartoux.

Sorry no image available

Hi Bryan,

You can request an application form thru email or by phone.

*this is their web site http://www.institut-fenelon.com.fr/

Be hurry because its almost end of period... Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by BSR - 6 years ago

Dear Fleury/helpinghand.Thank you for your comments,Now for the next step, how do I go about applying, is there anyone in particular I should approach?Again your advise is greatly appreciatedRegardsBryan

Sorry no image available
Posted by helpinghand-217345 - 6 years ago

I second what Fleury says. My daughter has gone right bthrough the school and it is great

Sorry no image available

Hi, if you get a place in fenelon, Grabe it. Thats the 5th top school in France, and your daughter Will be in golden hands. The primary school principal is an extra ordinary gentleman who gives all the supprt for any child. Good luck!