DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Speech Therapist Wanted

Posted by jazzyjeff - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by KidooLand-656021 - 5 years ago

I've been talking to an Anglophone speech therapist  based here on the Cote d'Azur on these kind of subject recently as it seems we all have so many questions on raising bilingual kids. She gave me some great tips and advice ;-)

If anyone wants her contact details please contact me through the email link.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MYSPACE-265889 - 5 years ago

My son is going to be 3 years old in July and he is just starting to make sentences in english with his father in french with me....I was like you very concerned. I had a talk about it with his doctor and she said ' let him be" don't push him don't correct him all the time when he is trying and now look not bad at all...hope this will help you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jazzyjeff - 5 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I will just be patient and wait for her to progress.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lescypres-873147 - 5 years ago

I agrée, my son was according to others, was "late" in talking. He is English but went through école maternelle, and then the rest of the sytem. In his class there were 11 nationalities. I really think that making him feel even more "different" by involving a speech therapist would just be another stress.

be patient. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by df_france - 5 years ago

Hi, my children are bilingual from birth and we are now adding on French.  This clearly slows down their spoken language development ... but not their comprehension.  

I too was concerned but everything I read said this is very normal.  My 3.5 year old is still very difficult to understand (in any language) ... but I know from his big sister that this will change over time.  

Of course there are some very young bilingual children chatting away clearly in multiple languages from a young age .... but kids all develop at their own pace.  

Maybe talk to your doctor first?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Admin-179828 - 5 years ago

If you can help, you must remember to e-mail your replies; in accordance with French regulations,  names and contact details of medical personnel must not be posted publicly to the Forum