DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Violence at school?

Posted by Natasha Monaco - Created: 7 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by peacocks-308583 - 7 years ago

Great to hear your comments Em17 :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Em17-246113 - 7 years ago

Oh, I forgot to say .... Personally, I feel that physical or emotional harm should NEVER be accepted at school. Parents entrust their most precious children to trained and qualified professionals on a daily basis. They have every right to expect their children's education to be a SAFE and joyful experience. There is something very wrong with society when it's accepted that bullying and intimidation are 'just' a part of growing up. I'm sure I sound naive, but without high expectations where would we all be?! I've taught in 4 different countries including the UK. A well run school with the 'right' attitude from management does not accept the kind of incidents that people are writing in about. Ever. I'll stop ranting now!

Sorry no image available

Village schools don't always work either. All mine attended a small village school with 90 children split into 4 classes. It's not an every day acurence but it does happen and I feel not handled well

Sorry no image available
Posted by Em17-246113 - 7 years ago

I'm so sorry your son is going through this. My daughter went to a school in Nice for 1 year. The school was good, if inflexible and old fashioned. Her teacher was excellent, but ( oh my goodness ) the behaviour in the playground was terrible. As a teacher myself, I was appalled at the 'let them toughen up and sort it out themselves' attitude'.Having witnessed one particularly nasty incident, we decided to either move back to the UK or over the border to Italy. We're in Italy now and my daughter attends the local village school. It may well be because we are in a village instead of a large city, but the children are constantly encouraged to treat each other nicely. Being unkind or violent to a younger child is an absolute no no. Perhaps a less urban school would help you find the quality of schooling you're looking for? I really hope things improve for your son. All the best.

Sorry no image available
Posted by forrentingrasse - 7 years ago

I would suggest starting out by trying to teach your boy how to stand up for himself and be affirmative, as it may take a while before getting anywhere going through the school etc.
Maybe you could go through some scenarios with him and teach him how you feel he should react in certains situations, having seen that polite manners and boys in French schools don`t always go together. I`m not suggesting violence in any way, but knowing what to do and say on the spot is not always easy for a child.
Good luck.

Sorry no image available

Lotsi - Im pleased you have had no experience of this problem, it's awful. But we are not alone I know many many people who have had problems and aren't all English or English speaking these are French too. It a global problem not in just one country or one culture.It's just some are better at handling it or better aware that there are or can be problems.

Sorry no image available

Omg Musky don't get me started we would be here all day with our stories. It just made me really angry as clearly this lady wrote a book without any research she just based it on her own kids. Someone wrote in and said they were married to a French guy and French kids are better behaved because of the discipline they get at home and French parents don't give their kids sweets , cola, junk food !!!!!!Really where do they find these people. Certainly not in France !!!!I'm sorry Natasha is going through this, been there it's awful. I wish her all the success in sorting this out poor lil guy is same age as my youngest.We want school to be a fun place to learn, make friends and have fun, not feel like you have to fight for a place in the in crowd or even to just be excepted.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lotsi - 7 years ago

I am sorry to hear everyone's bad experiences. I have 4 children who have all been through the french system. The oldest was 8 when we arrived in France so had already experienced a few years in the British system. I have to say that we have never had any issues with violence in the local school. I think the worst thing that happened to my youngest son was a child taking his ball and kicking it onto the school roof. The caretaker promptly rescued the ball and the kid was told off , didn't happen again. Normal boy behaviour ! So we were very pleased with the local school. Thats not to say that the french system doesn't drive me nuts at times !
I hear terrible stories of discipline problems from my brothers and sister in the UK.
May be we have been lucky !

Sorry no image available
Posted by musky-211885 - 7 years ago

Dont throw food. That makes me laugh, my son was disciplined for throwing orange peel in the canteen only 2 weeks ago, although it wasnt him and the teachers knew it. However because the kid who did it, knew he was on his last chance asked my son to take the blame and being the kind boy he is ,foolishy he did. I was called into the school and they told me this.

Sorry no image available

It's just awful to hear that a bunch of small kids aged 4 and 5 would do that but I have seen it myself.My son has enough to deal with because of a disability so a lot of the time he asks me not to do anything he can handle it himself, which I commend him for as I'm ready all guns blazing, and he shruggs it off mum it's ok I'll sort it you will just make it worse. But when he was hit I couldn't not say anything. My son has the same attitude of well they are smaller than me I will hurt them. He used to do judo did it for 6 years but because he has always been big and tall he was always told to be careful u could hurt the others, but when it cam to competitions he couldn't turn that off from his head so always got beat and hurt too sometimes so demoralising for him so when it came to going again in September he said please mum no more I feel so bad loosing all the time it's not fun anymore when I said well of course but when you do the comps just switch off he said I can't mum I'm so much bigger and heavy than them I will really hurt them if I land on them. And this is the child that they try to tell me uses his weight and size to intimidate others !!!!Recently on uk tv there was a French woman who had wrote a book title was something like why the French don't throw food.It was all about how French kids don't act like English kids in school they don't throw food there respectful in school etc etc.She must live in England and looking through Rose tinted glasses at her homeland country because just by the few experiences your posting has attracted proves that the French kids are no different from uk kids. I've never experienced uk schooling other than my own and while I know bullying and fighting went on it was no different to what we have experienced here.