Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.



Posted by Rivera-Mode - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

1 reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 4 years ago

AE and SARL are business regimes. They are nothing to do with insurance. Basically an AE is a self-employed person and a SARL is company structure.

Certain types of building work must by law be covered by certain types of guarantee. Major structural work (there are precise definitions of what is classed as structural work) must always be covered by a ten year guarantee, which means that the person carrying it out must have bought an insurance policy that covers him to do that particular job. So a plumber will be insured for plumbing installations, a roofer will be insured for roofing, an electrician will be insured for electrical installations. However if you get a roofer to do your wiring, the plumber's insurance will not cover it - the plumber will be working illegally and the work won't be guaranteed.

SARLs who carry out multiskill projects are likely to be insured for a lot of trades. AEs are likely to be insured for only one or two trades.

Insurance is expensive and insurers will only offer policies to people who have proved they are fully competent to carry out that trade, so sometimes unscrupulous SARLs and AEs will be tempted to bid for work that they're not insured for and not competent to do. So you need to check carefully, before you sign the devis, that your tradesman is insured for the work he is going to be doing for you. Especially if you employ an AE, ask to see his trade card from the Chambre de Métiers, which will list what trades he is registered to carry out, and ask for a photocopy of his insurance (and check the expiry date).

Hope this helps.