DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Auto Entreprenenur

Posted by Big Bear-323387 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Garonne - 5 years ago

I forgot about the carte grise LB!   Yes, that was on my list of docs to present too.  My father had bought me a newish car and the date on my carte grise was fairly recent.  I took a copy of the facture issued by the dealer which stated on it that it had been paid by cheque in my father's name. 

They leave no stone unturned ...

Sorry no image available
Posted by molly57 - 5 years ago

I once questioned a large tax bill, took it to the top of the tax system in my area, I didn't owe it and it was completely dissolved by them; but, I was told by this top guy that "you foreigners, we know, you all work on the black".  So, yes, guilty till proven innocent.

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

They (not sure who 'they' is, URSSAF or impots!) do do random checks on registered AEs, a lady on another forum who copped for one posted about it a while back - fortunately she was all in order and she said the inspector was perfectly pleasant and actually very helpful in advising her what records to keep.

When they investigate they have the right to examine every aspect of  your lifestyle and your bank accounts, and look for discrepancies between your actual outgoings and your claimed incomings. They will sure as eggs is eggs ask to see your carte grise, so for instance anybody claiming to be on the breadline and running an expensive new car will have a lot of explaining to do. You may think the impots are not bright but It's not rocket science, these people follow procedures, it's their job and they know exactly what to look for. People have been trying the same tricks on for years, thinking that nobody has ever had that bright idea before, but of course nothing's new and the inspectors have seen it all before. The declaration system is open to abuse and obviously they can't check everybody, but they make up for that by being very thorough when they do, so that fewer people will decide to risk it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Garonne - 5 years ago

They also act on anonymous tip offs. With reference to 'having their goods seized' remember that there's nothing worse than a friend of a friend of a friend of mine .....  For goods to be seized this is done by the huissiers and will be because of a definite case of monies being owed not on an assumption.

For anyone claiming any benefits via the CAF, be aware that they too do random checks and it's the same with them as ouch that hurt (love the username!) said earlier.  It isn't sufficient to present your avis d'impots, payslips and bank statements you have to justify cash/cheques paid in.  When I had one (everything was legit and all above board) the controller scrutinised my bank statements for the previous year to see what cash withdrawals I'd made and what cheques had been paid in.  I'd had a cheque from my boyfriend for my birthday - OK, date corresponds, and there were regular payments by card to supermarkets and a few cash withdrawals.

BUT ... I know an English couple who rather stupidly claim RSA and didn't declare a couple of small pensions they have paid into the Halifax in the UK.  One of them also works on the black (though this was never proven and they got away with this bit.) They rather naively had money regularly transferred from this account into their account at La Poste and they had a control by the CAF.  The payments from the Halifax were traced and they were obliged to reimburse hundreds to the CAF ... The CAF also informed the Hotel d'Impots and they were fined (a huge amount) for not declaring both pensions and a building society account with funds therein.

Sorry no image available
Posted by SunnySue-315619 - 5 years ago

Obviously, if your income and expenses don't make sense, fair enough! From the original post it sounded to me like they were penalising people whose accounts were, and looked, in order!

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 5 years ago

with the tax authorities you are guilty until you can prove your innocence. They do not believe anyone declares honestly the income that they make. And they dont have to have a reason for controlling someone, they do it because your name came out of the hat or whatever the random computer equivalent is.

To avoid the problem keep all receipts, all paper proof and dont take the mick when you make your declaration

Sorry no image available
Posted by ouch that hurt !-230853 - 5 years ago

"How can the authorities possibly believe someone earns more than they declare unless there is some proof of this?"

Cash payments can be taken & not declared. The controllers can check  your supermarket expenses, for example, you have a family of 4 & the bank balance shows only 50€ on food & houshold expenses per week they can assume that cash is being used. (They can insist on seeing supermarket receipts.) 

I know someone who had this happen

Sorry no image available
Posted by Big Bear-323387 - 5 years ago

I have no idea but that is why I am asking as I would like to know.  As you say, it sounds worrying.

Sorry no image available
Posted by SunnySue-315619 - 5 years ago

Where did you hear these horror stories?? It sounds a bit worrying, though nobody I know has had this kind of experience. How can the authorities possibly believe someone earns more than they declare unless there is some proof of this?