Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Carte de Sejour help?

Posted by heathjm - Created: 7 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Garonne - 7 years ago

Castagna, quote: "If you are an EU citizen, you don't need to apply for a carte de sejour, but you do need to go to the Marie with similar paperwork."

EU citizens do not need any form of residency approval and do not have to go to the Mairie upon taking up permanent residency.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Castagna-261363 - 7 years ago

If you are married to an EU citizen, it's extremely easy:  Go to your marie (town hall) and someone there will provide you with a list of all the paperwork you need and the forms to fill out.  You will also need some kind of proof of residency - electric bill, telephone bill that is no more than 3 months old - proof of medical insurance - proof of a living income source - birth and marriage certificates, and divorce certificate (if applicable) and they will need to be translated by a certified translator.  We had our temporary carte de sejour within days and then we could immediately apply to get into the health system.  You can find what you need to apply on this website as well.

If you are an EU citizen, you don't need to apply for a carte de sejour, but you do need to go to the Marie with similar paperwork.

Please note that I have had a carte de sejour for more than 10 years.  When my last 5 year carte expired I have had to have a temporary renewal every 3 months.  The maire of my village called the Prefecture to find out what is going on.  They claim that there is a one year backlog for carte de sejour renewals but I've been waiting nearly two years.  I am in the United States at the moment and when I passed through passport control in Switzerland, it was discovered that some bright soul transposed two numbers on my temporary compared to my permanent carte.   If they don't match then they are not legal documents. Therefore I had a serious problem and was detained.  The lovely immigration agent in Zurich told me not to show my temporary carte upon my return flight to Zurich.  I had to go into my flight information to say I was resident in the U.S., and fortunately I do not need a visa to enter Europe.  How annoying and ludicrous. 

Hope this helps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Floridian-312987 - 7 years ago

The french embassy in your home country.