DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Certfication of documents for equitable life reclaims

Posted by Gillian1170 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gillian1170 - 5 years ago

please do.  Thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 5 years ago

Hope you are better?

So, I went to my local Notaire with my passport.  She made a photocopie with the info. page and the one with my address in France, on the same side.

She then certified, in French, that it  was conform, signed it, put her stamp on it, etc. (She would not write the English text as she is a French Notaire/solicitor.)

I sent a complaining letter LRAR to the Customer Services Manager up in Glasgow, together with all the duplicate copies I'd sent the first time and told her that should be sufficient for them and the UK Government!!!

I'll let you know the result, if any!!!

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the info - it'll save me a wasted trip to the marie. Ive been ill and havent done this yet.

Cheers, Gillian

Sorry no image available

Hi, Gilliain,

I'm back to square 1, very sorry.

I received  my certified passport copy back with a letter to say thank you and they would contact me later on. That was all..

Today, I received the same letter and form etc. with a covering letter as before.  I 'phoned Glasgow and asked if they had received my original letter with the enclosures, sent Recommended Letter, who said they could not accept the French Mairie's certification and could I get a Notaire to certify?  I am furious and shall write a pertinent letter and complain.

I shall now have to go to my cheaper Notaire's office and start all over again, and I, as a French national, complain about France and their complicative administative system, UK is not any better.

Be prepared.  When governments want money in, they want it for last week but when they have to give out, it is for next year!!! 

Sorry no image available

Hi,

Just take along p/copy of the main pages in your passport to the Civil Dept. (births, deaths and marriages) and ask that they write and stamp on the copy, that identifies you are who you are in your passport but don't forget to get an official stamp, date and signature put on.

Get back to me again if problem.

Sorry no image available

Thanks very much.  Thats a good idea - I am also loathe to pay a lawyer especially since I do not even know how much reimbursement I will get. Probably very little.  I have a friend in the local marie although her English is very rusty.

Sorry no image available

Yes, about 10 days ago.

I was not going to pay an avocat (the last one cost 100€ for 15 mins of listening to me and I knew more about the subject than he did).

I live almost 3 hours from Bordeaux and the Consulat so, as was legal and acceptable in the past in France, I went to my nearest largish town  and the Mairie.

They refused to begin with because this certification service does not exist in France anymore but I asked that they gave me an attestation and certified my identity on my French passport, dated, stamped, with the English wording requested in the letter regarding proof of identity and sent it off to UK.

I received it back yesterday with a covering letter to say I would be hearing more soon.

It won't be very much but here's hoping!!!!