DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Changing Carte Gris from a deceased estate

Posted by Moom-231274 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeaky-882728 - 5 years ago

Sorry Moom, it's just the way it is here.

I had a feeling the inheritors may be English as the French and well-informed ex pats know all about the inheritance laws here.  They also need to know that no articles of any description (furniture, jewellery, any household items, in fact all posessions) of the deceased can be taken by any of the inheritors until the estate has been totally settled.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Moom-231274 - 5 years ago

Many thanks to you all for your informative replies.  The inheritors are English and would be happy to be rid of the car but don't want to get embroiled in a complicated changeover procedure.  I think in the circumstances, I have to walk away and remain carless whilst yet another usable commodity rots away or gets scrapped.  Anyway, thanks again for your advice.

Moom 

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

If there is a notaire dealing with it. Most people do get a notaire to deal with the succession but it is not compulsory, the heirs can do it themselves.

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 5 years ago

I actually meant that the notaire should know the procedure to follow as he is there to "liquidate" the estate, not that necessarily he would go down to the prefecture & sort it out  ;-)

I doubt if the family have the right to do anything with the deceased goods until the notaire has finished his inventory and even then the tricky decision of who the car could be said to belong to isnt solved as everyone technically gets a part share in every asset

I m sure it ll all be clear by the end of 6 months after the death as I believe that is the legal delay for the notaire to sort things out but before he s finished selling the car could be complicated

Sorry no image available

No eurokiné, he isn't in this case!  Cartes grises are all to do with the Préfecture and it's up to the heirs to submit the correct form and death certificate to change the carte d'immatriculation into their name to be able to resell it, as LB has pointed out. Until they've done that, they cannot legally sign the cession d'un véhicule as they are not the 'owners' so this sale cannot happen until the heirs have registered the car in their names.

Are the owners French? If they are, they should know this.

Sorry Moom but the paperwork has to be in place for you to register this car and without the ownership being changed to the heirs it's impossible.

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 5 years ago

the notaire dealing with the succession should be able to sort this out surely

- thats what he s there for!

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

As Squeaky says, only the legal heirs of the deceased can (hopefully) get the cg changed into their name. Once that's been done, they can sell it to you. But without paperwork signed by the current legal owner of the car, there is virtuanlly no chance of getting it registered in your name.

That's why there are so many perfectly good cars languishing in gardens and being scrapped, 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Moom-231274 - 5 years ago

Thanks for your reply.  I'm nothing to do with the estate:  it's a car that the survivors want to get rid of for a reasonable price but no-one seems to know how to go about it and I'm in desperate need of a vehicle.   Any advice on procedures is much appreciated.

Moom

Sorry no image available

You need to be more specific about your relationship to/with the deceased. If you're the spouse or there  is no surviving spouse and you are a child of the deceased, you go along to the prefecture with the death certificate and complete the relevant form. If you are neither of these you have no rights to any part of the estate as it all 'belongs' to the spouse and the children and therefore the carte grise cannot be changed..