DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cheapest way to transfer £ from Uk to here (Euro)?

Posted by WizardofOz-226715 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChB-184121 - 6 years ago

I find HSBC charges £9 for a transfer up to about £3,000 and then it doubles to £18 - not sure exactly at what point it changes. Don't be fooled by people who advertise no commission, they take they cut from giving a lower exchange rate, and people who advertise good rates, they will have a comission structure to make sure they take enough of your money. However it is worded, you will be paying for the service. I find I can withdraw enough cash for my needs using my card in cashpoints, I have a Euro account in a UK bank, so it costs nothing to transfer money into it, and it costs nothing to withdraw it here ( the exchange rate is where they take their cut). But I am limited to €500 per day so sometimes I have to go every day for a few days to get enough.

Sorry no image available
Posted by french at heart-275009 - 6 years ago

We deal with HSBC- we have canadian dollar, euro and pound accounts. To transfer canadian to euro, we deposit to our canadian account and use it to buy euros from HSBC and this goes into our euro account in Canada. We then transfer it online to our euro acct in Antibes, then take it out. We get good rates from the bank. Our son goes to school in the UK and we do the same thing to get money to him. There are HSBC's everywhere, so it's great when you travel as well.

Sorry no image available
Posted by WizardofOz-226715 - 6 years ago

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply - I've had some really interesting info from you all - will check out all those possibilities on the web...

Sorry no image available
Posted by smurf06 - 6 years ago

I highly recommend www.torfx.com, no commission, very fast and easy, good rates

Sorry no image available
Posted by Floridian-312987 - 6 years ago

First you add a bank account. They will put 2 or 3 cents in it. Then you take the £, convert it into € then you transfer it. Or like my BoA account, you just send whatever currency to it and they put it into $ (at a very good rate), with a PayPal transfer, it is free.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GAnthony - 6 years ago

Have looked at my Paypal account, but cannot see how one can transfer GBP from a UK bank into my French account which is in Euros. How exactly is this done?

Sorry no image available
Posted by apsona-182034 - 6 years ago

I usually use http://currencyfair.com/ for larger sums...

Sorry no image available
Posted by WizardofOz-226715 - 6 years ago

Oh - that could be interesting - I always thought it was 3%. Thanks Iphouston

Sorry no image available
Posted by lphouston - 6 years ago

Paypal does this for about 1%

I don't work for them... ;-)