Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Find sponsor

Posted by JuliaWoodthorpe - Created: 7 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JuliaWoodthorpe - 7 years ago

Hi,   Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into it.  I do have some experience in trying to contact famous people and it's fairly negative and high in frustration so if anyone has an idea on how to avoid stress overload please do not hesitate to contact me.

Tank you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JuliaWoodthorpe - 7 years ago

Hi, No humiliation! The people that run these associations understand and you have a good brain, you'll pull through.  Please let me know how you get on and wish you the very best, 

Bise,   Julia

Sorry no image available
Posted by appletrees-321263 - 7 years ago

I just saw on BBC1 Breakfast an interview with Dame Stephanie Shirley who is giving her wealth away and is particularly interested in helping with autism as her son had it. Perhaps a chance of trying to make contact? Of course she is in UK.. I don't know anything more than was on TV. Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by Garonne - 7 years ago

You're welcome Julia and I really hope you can get all the help you need.  I know what it's like so I fully empathise.

I've got the wonderful Resto du Coeur experience starting on 15th November.  So humiliating but a necessity I'm afraid.

Bises, x

Sorry no image available
Posted by JuliaWoodthorpe - 7 years ago

Hello, yes, that's the situation more or less. A vice president du conseil general helped me with the CAF and advised me to re apply for the RSA, it's taking a lot of time to complete because I need attestations from people not always easily accessible.

No, we are not fully insured and this is a big problem for My youngest daughter (Autistic) she has serious visual problems and she is now coming down the stairs on her bottom and can't go for more than a few yards from the house without risking to get stuck or, worse, lost. Strangely, my eldest daughter,18 yrs, is fully covered but then she is diabetic and would die without insulin so I suppose they are covering their backs.

I think every culture has it's up and down side. Although the care for autistic children is good in Britain the NHS is still nightmarishly slow and I have researcher friends who can't find funding to keep up with research being done in the rest of the world.

Father and maintenance is a sticky one! All the associations I've approached for sponsorship Have said " We will not help single mums if the father is capaple of helping" Whoah!  Danger!

Her father has agreed to leave us alone so long as he doesn't have to pay the pension. I, and my children would prefer to starve than recieve a pension from him. I have to check  that the house is empty before we go in for the little one and she still has terrible nightmares about him.

I'm an artist/ art teacher, by the way, pour de vrai! not a weekend one and we did get through summer on my work so, I hope, if we can get straight, I could possibly make a living from it (eternal optimist )!

I will take your advice and thank you so much for all the trouble you are taking.


Sorry no image available
Posted by Garonne - 7 years ago

OK.  I understand. So you lost residency status because you were out of hte country for more than six months, which is normal, but had you returned after that and had worked or paid contributions you'd still have your droit de sejour.  So presumably the problem is that you, in their eyes, haven't paid contributions since you resumed residency and don't have any other income and so are being denied a droit de séjour.  Normally this would exclude you from everything including family allocations, so it must be because the children are French that you are still receiving allowances for them, which makes sense.

Is there anything you can find on the internet about people who cease to be residents and return and the contributions they paid in France previously to leaving count as far as droit de séjour is concerned?  See if your social worker can find a loophole somewhere because you're never going to get RSA until you've paid contributions again otherwise.  

I know the social workers are really under pressure at the moment but as I told you my other one was useless and I've missed out on thousands over the years due to being ill advised by her, let alone the fact that she was very anti-anyone not French.  In 2006 after a car accident I was in a right mess and she told me to go back to England - why should France help you.  Nice.

My appointment with the chap this week was at 3 pm.  I left with him at 5.30 pm and during our meeting he cancelled another appointment because he wanted to help me.  Make another appointment with your social worker and ask her to do some research before your meeting to see if there's any clause to get round the droit de séjour problem so you can get RSA.  This is going to be horrendous for you because apart from your family prestations unless you can get an income what on earth will you do?  As in any professional situation you come across people at the CAF and social workers who don't know every single rule.  Afterall, it's the Président of the Conseil Générale who decides whether applicants are eligible to RSA ultimately so there must be someone high up there who your social worker can talk to.

I know things have really tightened up with the CAF since 2007/8 so far as droit de séjour is concerned, but there must be some sort of exception for you as your children are French.  I really hope so.

Have you seen a social worker at the CAF as well? Is your children's father paying maintenance?

How are you covered for health care?

Thank you for your good wishes, I hope things get better for you too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JuliaWoodthorpe - 7 years ago

Hello Garonne, what I meant was ( Law has changed) after six months out of the country a ressortissant europeen loses his/her droit de sejour. That is what I am considered for the moment. What the children are I have no idea, they are both French born, French father so my situation is "Interesting" We were out of france for ten months.

I was self imployed but with both the childrens health issues, only been able to work in fits and starts. I'm on my last try but stuck in this infernal circle of papers and cannot get my numero siret until all the rest is up to date.

Our social worker is run off her feet, we only managed to get through half of the papers last week but I think you are right and she's got it wrong. I didn't know there was help for the car, that would have saved me a lot of grief.

We have the allocations again but not the RSA before I complete the dossier de Ressortissant European or the Maison de Handicappe, the dossier is hell to fill out and it's this one that I'm counting on to get transport costs for my daughters school, 2 allez retours par jour, 4hrs of driving. For sponsorship I fear all will be lost if I don't find a solution soon.

Thanks for your advice, I will look it up and I hope things sort out quickly for you too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Garonne - 7 years ago

Julia, no need to apologise.

Are you sure you're getting correctly advised by your social worker?  Only yesterday I saw a 'new' male social worker and although I consider myself well informed regarding all allocations and aide finances available through the Conseil Générale and the CAF there was a whole bunch of stuff he's applying for me that my last social worker never even mentioned.  This includes car insurance, car repairs, annulment of habitation tax in exceptional circumstances (my RFR was high last year due to not working and thus no deduction of frais réels therefore Taxe d'hab with only an 80 euro reduction for the first time ever).

You say: "I have done all of the above and our social assistant is doing her utmost to help us. Unfortunately, and despite my repeatedly telling the CAF that I intended to come back, we lost our right to residency in France after 6mnths out of the country."

But surely when you came back to France after 3 months as long as you satisfy the conditions for a 'droit de séjour' (sufficient ressources so as not to be a burden on the French state) in the event that you're not working or self-employed, you would automatically be entitled to reregister with the CAF and be treated as any other ressortissants européen.

I'd question this to start with.  (Obviously if you're not self-employed, salaried or have a regular sustainable private income, this is why you've been refused any help from the CAF.)

The other thing I don't understand is that after 5 years of uninterruped legal residence you will have had a 'droit de séjour permanent' which I was under the impression stays for life regardless of temporarily relocating to another country.

Read here: https://sites.google.com/site/cireloiretcher/les-travaux-et-parutions-du-cire/informations-thematiques-du-cire/prestations-de-la-caf-pour-les-etrangers/droits-caf-pour-les-europeens

Please believe me that I'm not questioning what you've been told, it's just that I know from experience that the CAF and social workers get things wrong. 

I will, hopefully, be 700 euros better off from my meeting yesterday with an extremely well informed up to date social worker.  The one I saw before knew less than I did about the financial help out there.  I also took on the CAF over Allocation Soutien Familial which I'd been denied because I have no judgement (nor an address) for my son's father.  They eventually backdated it 2 years and put 2,200 euros in my bank.  My new best friend Monsieur l'Assistant Social is now trying to get them to backdate it to my original claim in 2009 because the CAF only backdate stuff a maximum of 2 years if they admit an error.  Any longer than that and it has to be a whole new dossier ... fingers crossed.

Without knowing your financial situation I cannot be sure, but if you have a droit de séjour they cannot refuse you the allocations to which you are rightfully entitled to.



Sorry no image available
Posted by JuliaWoodthorpe - 7 years ago

Hello Garonne,

I have done all of the above and our social assistant is doing her utmost to help us. Unfortunately, and despite my repeatedly telling the CAF that I intended to come back, we lost our right to residency in France after 6mnths out of the country. 

My daughters story has been in the "Riviera Times"  June issue and on their site where you will find more information.

Ithink the saddest thing about this "Situation" is that it concerns a very gentle child, well above average intelligence, a language wizard, a computer wizard with a very real quest for knowledge who has been denied an education because autistic children in France are automatically considered "retards mentaux".

I apologise for my last reply.


Sorry no image available
Posted by Garonne - 7 years ago

Why can't you reapply for AEEH and the other allowances if you are permanent residents in France?  Being out of France for 10 months last year shouldn't change your rights.  Have you seen a social worker since you returned?  The CAF make mistakes about allowances - I know this as I have just banked over 2,200 euros in my favour after challenging them.