DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

French Inheritance Laws

Posted by rhondavid - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by F-189504 - 5 years ago

Hi rhondavid,

I had some experience a few years ago of an inheritance question concerning property.

In short, I found the advice -'it really is worth it to take this to a notaire' to be spot on. These inheritance laws here, while not difficult to understand, are nevertheless complex and to be sure of anything you need expert advice. It gets a little more complex in your case, as you outline. For example you probably know that in France you cannot disinherit your children - the laws are well established as to who gets what in a will where children are concerned.

Tax liabilities too are clearly defined, with differing amounts of tax relief for relatives who inherit - spouse, child, brother/sister, niece/nephew etc all clearly laid out.

A trip to a notaire with your questions prepared will entail a fee of course, but for peace of mind it would be worth it. You never know you might be able to minimise tax liabilities for those who inherit.

Good luck,

F

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 5 years ago

the previous posters advice is sound.
I think you ll find that the heir apparent will depend on your marriage contract
You should make a will to ensure that the surviving spouse has the use of the whole of the property until their death as otherwise the heir of the other partner could force a sale to obtain their share.
Do go to a notaire, if you post where you are Im sure people will give you details of english speaking notaires close to you

Sorry no image available
Posted by sailir06 - 5 years ago

Thes best advice is to go and see an notaire here in France 9there are quit a lot who speak English) and discuss the problem with him. He will be the only one able to give a 100% correct legal advice,