Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


French Inheritance Laws

Posted by rhondavid - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by F-189504 - 5 years ago

Hi rhondavid,

I had some experience a few years ago of an inheritance question concerning property.

In short, I found the advice -'it really is worth it to take this to a notaire' to be spot on. These inheritance laws here, while not difficult to understand, are nevertheless complex and to be sure of anything you need expert advice. It gets a little more complex in your case, as you outline. For example you probably know that in France you cannot disinherit your children - the laws are well established as to who gets what in a will where children are concerned.

Tax liabilities too are clearly defined, with differing amounts of tax relief for relatives who inherit - spouse, child, brother/sister, niece/nephew etc all clearly laid out.

A trip to a notaire with your questions prepared will entail a fee of course, but for peace of mind it would be worth it. You never know you might be able to minimise tax liabilities for those who inherit.

Good luck,


Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 5 years ago

the previous posters advice is sound.
I think you ll find that the heir apparent will depend on your marriage contract
You should make a will to ensure that the surviving spouse has the use of the whole of the property until their death as otherwise the heir of the other partner could force a sale to obtain their share.
Do go to a notaire, if you post where you are Im sure people will give you details of english speaking notaires close to you

Sorry no image available
Posted by sailir06 - 5 years ago

Thes best advice is to go and see an notaire here in France 9there are quit a lot who speak English) and discuss the problem with him. He will be the only one able to give a 100% correct legal advice,