Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


French insurance on UK car, Accident whilst in UK & claim

Posted by FLO 62 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lescypres-873147 - 5 years ago

Be careful if you declare you were working, check if you are covered first. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

"Having been there for more than 6 months I had to take up French car insurance." Why, where does it say that? As Fashion1 says, the basic rule is that you should re-register your car - not swap to foreign insurance on a UK reg vehicle. But in your case, if you were still technically a UK resident working overseas, you would have probably done better to find a UK insurer such as NFU who would have given you extended European cover.

The Ombudsman would probably wonder how come a French insurer has gone and insured a UK registered car owned by a UK resident that has been written off in accident in the UK.

However, it did insure you and if it has made an offer, personally I would be tempted to take it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fashion1 - 5 years ago

european law stats that if you reside in a country for 6 months or more, you have to change your registration of your vehicle. Was this done? If not, the insurance company is being nice to you as they could refuse to pay you anything.