DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Giving birth in but not registered as a French citizen..

Posted by Gabrielleb - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gabrielleb - 5 years ago

Thank you Emily for your advice! I think after reading your post it seems better since he works here and we will be staying here with baby to also register as a citizen of France as a family, Like you have done. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by emily brand-306844 - 5 years ago

Hi, I just went through a similar situation in Cannes last year. I still work for the yacht so I actually managed to claim most costs back through insurance but I paid up front for everything except the birth (which is about E1000 per day for a "normal" birth) Also having a European medical card (like the E111) helps as you can claim through NHS ..... We are currently British citizens but claim seafarers Tax because we are not in the UK and have been travelling constantly but now we are in France a lot more we are going to start paying tax here and become residents as my son goes to Dr and will go to school etc here .... 

Most Dr and hospitals here are used to these kind of situations and at the hospital (which you have to book in advance! i nearly missed it because I though my ObGyn had registered me!) just ask for your details and if you say insurance privee then you just pay ......