DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Holiday flat owner asking me to take out insurance?!

Posted by ..venus..-258237 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

As others have said - if it were me I would let it drop and look elsewhere.

If that's what the contract says, then that's what the contract says. It sounds rather as if this agency deals mainly with the French market. For people who have this cover in their household insurance it will not be an issue. Square pegs / round holes and all that. There are plenty of holiday rentals available that don't require you to have insurance. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeaky-882728 - 5 years ago

ouch that hurt, the OP can only say that it is not French law for them to pay this, but if the proprietor and/or agent have added it as a requirement to the contract for seasonal rental that's their prerogative but personally I'd tell them where to go!  There are loads of apartments vacant for holiday lets at this time of year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LeighA - 5 years ago

I know an agency in Nice that forced this type of insurance on a friend of mine for a 3 week rental. After she paid for it through the agent, she learned the agency also sells insurance at double the cost of the bank.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ouch that hurt !-230853 - 5 years ago

it's a con in my opinion, even the price seems high for a small aptmt, I'd tell them you have contacted your insurer who says this is false practice

Sorry no image available

This insurance isn't obligatory under French law for location saisoniere.

This is the official government website:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F1349.xhtml

This is not a standard short-term contract and even if it was, this insurance is not a legal requirement for furnished short-term rentals, it is only a legal requirement for long-term unfurnished rentals.

It is 'advised' but that is all and you are not obliged to take this out.  Tell the agent to read up on his property law! ;)  Seriously, I personally wouldn't pay it and I would find another rental property where the owners carry their own insurance and I'm a bit out of touch with holiday rentals, but don't you normally just pay a deposit??  If they won't let the apartment without it you're pretty much stuffed!

Incidentally, I only pay 125 a year for this insurance on my year-round rental property.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ..venus..-258237 - 5 years ago

Thank you squeaky!

The agent is familiar with short term rentals and is digging his heels in. He says that we are required to take out insurance if our home insurance does not cover the below and can do so via the agency if needed. 89 euros for the week for a 2 bedroom apartment and this cost can be added to the bill of final clean and linen costs, which already comes to over 200 euros.

The insurance paragraphs you posted make complete sense to me, but what we have here does not:

Assurance

"Le locataire doit etre assure a une compagnie d'assurances notoirement connue contre les risques de vol, bris de glace, incendie et degat des eaux, tant pour ses risques locatifs que pour le mobilier donne en location, ainsi que pour les recours des voisins, et en justifier a premiere requisition du bailleur" 

" The tenant must be insured by an insurance company generally recognized against the risks of burglary, broken glass, fire and water damage, as for his own risks, as for the rented furniture, as for the appeal of the neighbours and shall be able to justify as soon as the lessor claims for it."

The word 'must' is what worries me.  I will check my home insurance to see if I am covered for this rental, but wonder what travellers from outside of France would need to do?

Does the agent have the right to ask the above? Does not insuring oneself against fire, water damage etc  put one at risk by signing this agreement?

Sorry no image available

Have you actually spoken to the agent to check it isn't a mistake, ie they've used the wrong standard letter?  This is definitely not required for any holiday lets.  This is an "Attestation d'Assurance Responsabilité du Locataire envers son Propriétaire" which is obligatory under French law for long term tenants.  If this agent isn't familiar with holiday lets and neither is the proprietor they need to understand this!

It states clearly here that, as laughingboy says, if you're a French resident you check with your home insurance to see if you are covered and if not, you are not required to take out a French insurance policy for one week's holiday 'as defined by French law', but are advised to.  The last paragraph says the owner must  notify his own insurance company that he wishes to rent out his property (for holidays - as this was in a link about holiday lets only) and ensure his house insurance covers for fire, water, third party liability.

Assurances
Le client est responsable de tous les dommages survenant de son fait. Il est invité à vérifier s'il bénéficie par ses assurances personnelles, d'une assurance dite « villégiature ». A défaut, il lui est vivement recommandé d'en souscrire une.

Le propriétaire doit prévenir sa compagnie du souhait de louer un logement et s'assurer que son contrat multirisque habitation couvre bien ce logement d'une assurance «incendie dégâts des eaux et responsabilité envers les tiers».

Sorry no image available
Posted by ..venus..-258237 - 5 years ago

Thank you laughingboy --- this is helpful.

What I still cannot understand is that all the holiday flats that we've rented with our family in the past, we had never come across this. Why do some ask the tenant to insure against the above and some do not?

Many thanks,

..venus..

Sorry no image available

As laughingboy says, no, this is not normal.  This kind of insurance is required by a tenant on a one year or three year tenancy agreement.

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

No this is normal, many French holiday rental contracts require you to have your own insurance. Most French household policies offer an extension called 'garantie villégiature' which covers stays in rented holiday accommodation so it isn't usually an issue. But if yours doesn't, I guess you would need to arrange something. The agency can surely advise.