DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Household insurance claim

Posted by mrbluesky-229427 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mrbluesky-229427 - 5 years ago

N

Thank you- you seem to speak from experience. My neighbour has identified the problem and fixed it. By the time we left things felt dry and should continue to dry out. I'll get back to my insurers; hopefully our insurance companies will be as helpful and cooperative as my neighbour has been.

Mr A

Sorry no image available
Posted by nissalabella - 5 years ago

Yes, this is normal procedure in France.  You have two things to consider : the cause of the problem ie search for the leak somewhere and repair of it (up to your upstairs neighbours' insurer to pay for it) and the consequences ie water damage of your ceiling which are normally taken into account by your insurer with the help of an expert to determine how much the repair will cost.  Then, the two assurance companies get together and they decide on a deal... Nothing to do with you but it is always better to contact your own insurer to find out what/when something happens.  

You have to bare in mind that a water leak can take sometimes to dry so don't be too hasty to have your repair done, it might be a good idea to let the warmth of the summer dry it completely before repainting it.

Hope this helps,

N.