Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Is it possible to have a special lease if you let rooms in your house

Posted by HandA-281266 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Garonne - 5 years ago

I'm sorry but there are no exceptions.  A furnished bedroom, studio or apartment 'chez l'habitant' (in your home) falls under the same law as all other rental agreements.  There are slightly different rules for students (a 9 month duration, for example) but for everyone else the standard French bail applies.  Lodger status isn't exempt from a French bail (tenancy agreement) and all the same rules apply.  They are all 'locataires' if any money changes hands at all.

I appreciate your concerns - I'd be exactly the same particularly as your tenants could essentially live totally free from 1st Nov to 15th March whilst having the central heating on 24/7 and consuming masses of electricity, water and gas.  Is there no way you can have the utilites put on separate supplies?

You know about not being able to evict from 1st November to 15th March from reading your earlier post and also you cannot evict during the other months until they have defaulted in FULL for 2 months consecutively.  You cannot give notice to quit for any other reason.

If and when you find tenants who you feel may be suitable, be sure to get all the correct paperwork in order.   All French landlords will demand proof of net income from a permanent work contract (CDI) at 3 times the value of the rent, eg if the rent is 500 euros, the tenants need to net at least 1500 euros a month.  If tenants are on housing benefit from the CAF the landlord can insist that this is paid directly to him/her. They will also demand a guarantor usually regardless of the tenant's employment situation.  You need to get copies of photo ID for both parties and avis d'impots for at least the previous year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by HandA-281266 - 5 years ago

Because when we came here 4 years ago, we did not understand the law in France, we did what we have done in the UK, which was to draw up a contract which was acceptable to both parties.  As in the UK, after the first 6 months this was a rolling monthly contract with a months notice on either side.

This income is, of course, fully declared to the French tax authorities as furnished letting.

Now we understand French law better, we know that if we had a dispute with a tenant and it went before a tribunal, the judge would over-ride our agreement with the appropriate French letting law, even if landlord and tenant had agreed something different.

If we did not live on the premises we would put up with this, but when you live and share facilities with people you have to get on and we were wondering if there was any lease which we could use for furnished rooms within our house (i.e. house guest / lodger in English - I think it would be  être logée chez.... in French ) which might be more equitable between the lodger and landlord?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Garonne - 5 years ago

What contract did you have with the previous tenants and how did you declare the rental on your tax form?  Was it as a rented apartment?

Unfortunately you are correct - there are no alternatives for tenancy contracts in France to protect landlords because they are laws and landlords have legal obligations so there is no way round them.


Sorry no image available
Posted by beadu06 - 5 years ago


Si j'ai bien compris, vous louez une partie de votre maison. La partie louée est un appartement meublé. Vous aimeriez retrouver des locataires aussi délicats que les précédents.

J'avoue que déjà, vous avez eu cette chance, car par ces temps de crise, trouvez des locataires discrets et qui paient leur loyer, cela devient rare.

Je ne pense pas que vous pussiez établir un bail de location avec tout les critères éxigés. Cela relève d'un accord verbal entre les loueurs et les locataires de façon à ce que la cohabitation soit la plus parfaite possible. Et oui en France .......

Par contre, le fait que ce soit un logement meublé, vous pouvez en cas de conflit, demandez à vos clients de quitter les lieux, avec préavis de 3 mois. Eux, par contre n'ont qu'un mois de préavis à vous donner pour partir.

Vous pouvez aussi, demander une caution qui équivaut au double du loyer sans les charges, ceci est légal, un mois de caution pour les murs, et un mois pour le matériel mis à disposition.

Et rien ne vous empêche de demander une caution bancaire, en règle générale, ce genre de pratique ralentit quelque peu les agissements néfastes de locataires indélicats qui souhaitent récupérer leur argent....

Voilà ce que je sais

Bonne journée