Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Looking for a good experienced lawyer to sort out a notary

Posted by Lucky2009 - Created: 7 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Garonne - 7 years ago

Fish you're a star, as usual!!  I was just about to post along exactly the same lines. 

I've used the Chambre des Notaires a few times in a professional capacity and they are obliged to look into your complaint and reply and I never had to take things any further.  Notaires can be 'struck off' and I know of one who was after several complaints to the Chambre des Notaires for malpractice.

Lucky, start there as Fish says and hopefully you won't have to waste money on an avocat(e).

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 7 years ago

you may also have assistance juridique as an option on your house insurance which will give you free access to a lawyer, but the chambre des notaires is definately a good place to start kicking anthills

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 7 years ago

You have to start at the bottom and work upwards but everything MUST be in writing in France or you don't have a leg to stand on!  Anything oral has no legal binding in France and this applies to most things.  I cannot help further as I am not in the region but if you have not already done so, this may be of help:-

1.  Get someone to write a LRAR letter (?mise en demure) to your notaire in very good French of course, requesting that all your papers concerning the non-sale of your house, etc. are returned to you by recommended post within a given delay (eg. 1 month). Allow 1 month from the date of returned receipt of the formal letter.  Include the following statement that if you do not receive all the papers within the indicated period, you may be obliged to contact the Chambre des Notaires in Nice.

2.  Write to the professional notarial authority (Chambre des Notaires) concerned, (they are the official watchdog for the 06 department,)  clearly explaining your situation and include copies of any written proof that you have to lodge a complaint and send LRAR again to:-

Chambre départementale des ALPES-MARITIMES

06000 NICE

Tél. :
Fax :

Courriel : chambre.alpesmaritimes@notaires.fr Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser.
Site : www.chambre-alpesmaritimes.notaires.fr

The Chambre des Notaires have, I think, 3 weeks to reply to you after receipt of the LRAR when they make an official enquiry from your original Notaire.  This will cost you nothing except the LRAR letters or go to your local Mairie and ask for the address of the Maison de la Justice where you can also get free advice and recommendations for a lawyer and make an appointment.  Then you will have to pay the lawyer, of course but you will have written proof that the basics have been carried out.

I stand to be corrected, of course.

NB - LRAR - Lettre Recommendé avec Accusée de Reception