Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Non-EU wife of EU citizen - work permit required?

Posted by BadderPP - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ange03-273321 - 5 years ago

Hi, yes, you will need to show at the prefecture that you have an income, pay your French taxes, and so on, basically that you are providing for your non-EU spouse, and then she is entitled to her carte de sejour.  But then again it all depends on the person handling your case.  Once you finally get the carte de  sejour (it can take a loooong time) you get to do the whole thing over in the following year.  Hope this helped and good luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 5 years ago

she would be entitled to it and it will have nothing to do with the current economic/unemployment situation. The carte de sejour doesnt, after all, guarentee her a job, just the possibility to apply for one in her field and to be employed should she be the candidate they want

Sorry no image available
Posted by BadderPP - 5 years ago

Thank you all for your input, it has been very helpful and clarifying!


May I then conclude that from the moment I am living and working in France, my wife is then entitled to get this carte de sejour, regardless of how complicated that process may be? Or is it possible with the current laws for it to be refused, f.ex. due to raising unemployment or something similar?


Thanks again!

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 5 years ago

you do tend to get the cat chasing its tail run around  about the Eu spouses right to a carte de sejour but persevere as it is definately needed for the non Eu spouses paperwork.

The head Dragon at nice refused me quite brutally when I asked to get my married name on my existant carte de sejour as I wasnt entitled to one because I am an Eu citizen & then promptly contradicted herself when I asked for the list of papers for my american husbands C de S by saying well, if you married to an American you have to have one!!

Rule change only have digested by the convolutions of french administration

I have read on an official websit (servicespublic.org perhaps) that a permanent (20yr) C de S was available for EU citizens who requested it but the prefecture looked at me as if I was a lunatic when I asked about it..........

Sorry no image available
Posted by magsk-214612 - 5 years ago

I've been through this myself. This might depend on who you get at the counter at the prefecture, but from my experience EU nationals will not be given a carte de sejour now as it is unnecessary. We ended up going around and around with the prefecture about this. To initiate my application for a carte de sejour they demanded to see a carte de sejour for my husband (an EU national) but, they wouldn't give him one, therefore he didn't have one to show! Anyway, your wife will need to obtain a visa to enter France if she hasn't already been residing in an EU country for at least 5 years prior to your move, then to get a carte de sejour you will have to prove you have the financial resources to support yourselves.

If your wife is given a carte de sejour based on you being an EU national, then the card should also give her the right to work here.

More info here: http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/moving/residency


Sorry no image available
Posted by indigomonaco - 5 years ago

Agree with Eurokine.... your wife will need a carte sejour, which most likely means applying for long term visa in her home country first, and then the carte sejour once here. Sorry, but have been through it all myself too!   Good luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 5 years ago

unless things have changed recently, you will need to get a carte de sejour in order for her to be able to apply for one. With a carte de sejour she will be able to live & work in france as if she was an EU citizen.

In other circumstances you would not need a carte de sejour for yourself but a copy of it is necessary in the dossier for your wifes application (along with hod loads of other papers)

Bet of luck at the prefecture