DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Passport with less than 6 months validity

Posted by Emy-183095 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Emy-183095 - 6 years ago

True that it really depends on the check-in agents. They can be over cautious and not let you depart.

I know of one instance that was in Paris for travelling to Indonesia. The passenger had to renew the passport straight away before flying.

Here in Nice, visitors over staying the 3 months period and travelling to London was OK!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Methuselah-217505 - 6 years ago

It depends on two things.

Primarily, it depends on where you are going as some countries will not allow you in unless you have 'x' months validity to run on your passport.

The secondary consideration is whether the check-in agent knows the above, accesses and interprets the information correctly. Where they don't know, they will usually be over-cautious.

Broadly speaking, what Ras has said is correct, but in reality it is not that simple.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Emy-183095 - 6 years ago

Thanks for your info. Good to know!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ras-214972 - 6 years ago

Yes, had no problem.
You can travel within Europe until your final expiry date, at least if you have European passport. And you can remain in France even if your passport expires, but you'll be stuck here until you renew it.
My understanding is you can also go to the US until the actual expiry date of your passport (if you are European). I've not tried it as far as that, but I was fine going to the US once with just 3 months validity left.