DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Paypal nightmare - please help!

Posted by suzijameson - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by fiona06 - 5 years ago

>>created buttons (add to cart; purchase gift certificate etc) and then was cut off.

Suzi,

Paypal does not seem to be the problem. I read that you actually managed to create buttons. 

Once you got to that stage, there is no further step as Paypal will not help you get those buttons on your website.

There are many ways and many different tools to build a website. Paypal does not know what kind of website you built. So it won't give you any advice as to how to integrate the buttons.

So you understand: each button represents a few lines of code that you have to cut and paste in the source code of your website. It's up to you to figure out where to paste the Paypal buttons' code. 

Hope this helps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by liddane-276028 - 5 years ago

Romantica is perfectly correct - you will not avoid fees simply by using PayPal instead of Visa.

PayPal charges on a sliding scale from 1.4% plus 20p per transaction when your monthly income via PayPal exceeds £55,000 - up to 1.4% plus 20p per transaction when your monthly turnover is less than £1,500,

When I started using PayPal in my own business many years back, I felt there was a slight resistance to the concept from some customers, but nowadays, I find that the bulk of my clients prefer PayPal to a credit card, as they do not have to disclose their credit card number or other details to me.

Funny thing is that I myself prefer to pay by PayPal also now, unless I am very sure of the site I am dealing with, and so many companies on the web now offer both options to customers.

I am not 100% sure about the current situation regarding Monaco as mentioned by fallenangel but certainly, PayPal stopped offering a service to Monaco residents in 2005. I am not sure, if this has changed since then, but I think not.

There are a small number of other (but mainly developing countries) where either PayPal cannot be used or where there are some restrictions on its use. I have not found this a problem. Incidentally, similar restrictions apply with conventional credit cards for such countries as Burma, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Liberia, Macedonia, North Korea, Serbia, Sudan, Syria, Zimbabwe etc.

As I say, it is simple to set up (even I was able to do it!) and in any event, there is plenty of online help and all sorts of forums where you can get advice from other users. PayPal is more of a community nowadays and of course, you really do need PayPal if you want to sell on eBay, who I think, now own the company?

As I say - there is plenty of help on the web (there are even some step-by-step videos on YouTube although you have to wade through hundreds to find the best ones!), and although it took me a while to master the cart system (I am a slow learner), once I got it right, it worked without problem thereafter.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Romantica-196641 - 5 years ago

You mention 'avoiding visa costs'....Paypal do take a percentage of payments into the account, I believe.

Sorry no image available
Posted by liddane-276028 - 5 years ago

I have been using PayPal for business purposes for about eight years and have never had any problem with them.

I have had occasion to use both their online service and their phone service, and both have been very efficient.

As a slow learner, it took me a little while to get it organised properly, but once I got it right, it all ran smoothly from then on.

Touch wood!

Jim Liddane

Sorry no image available
Posted by fallenangel - 5 years ago

Hi Suzie,

I just wondered if you might be in Monaco as a friend living there says you cannot set up a Paypal account there.

I opened an account a few years ago and while I don't use it often the transactions are always smooth.

Maybe you should cancel what you have already done and start again with a new passw<ord. Just an idea as I cannot give you any other advice.

Good luck

Maddie.

Sorry no image available
Posted by 785biot@gmail.com - 5 years ago

Yes I have set up over 25 Pay pal accounts normal with small problems or no problems at all. What is your problem with Pay Pal?

Good luck