DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Possible problem with a short term holiday renter not wanting to vacate

Posted by danieldravet - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ESS-209984 - 5 years ago

After dreadful problems with a long-term rental with a French family - able to afford the Porsche, but not the rent - when we finally got the villa back after 4 months, we decided we would only do furnished lets.

We have rented now for 4 years to holiday makers from outside of France.  We take a very chunky deposit, which is returned after we have cleaned the villa and checked it completely.   A few breakages are normal (so don't leave your best stuff) and we have only had 2 families who really should have rented a pigsty....   Nothing really damaged, but hours to clear up after them!   Otherwise, it has been a very positive experience and we make good money.

Over the winter we let to expat families who want to go back to their home countries in the summer, so never any problem of them wanting to stay.   They quite understand that they get a very good winter price and have to move out for the summer rentals.

I do a contract in English as most of our renters would not understand the French one.

So, I would recommend this as a plan.   Enjoy!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Golfer1-246910 - 5 years ago

First warning sign is a local wanting to rent short term !!!!.

The rental laws (long term, short term, any term) are so complicated and biased towards the tenant that you are crazy to even consider this arrangement. 

And I have not even mentioned the lengthy legal process and costs to reclaim your property after the fact.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Charlie670 - 5 years ago

Well if anything like that happen to youy and if you go o court make sure you declare your rentin income to the french government otherwize you might get some trouble with the local tax office.

What I would recommend is to ask for a deposit and you should also do a list of wha you left before the guest arrival and after their departure, plus you should keep the deposit for at least a week time aftr their departure in case you find something after.

contact me in PM in case you need more help.

good luck then

Sorry no image available
Posted by JJ-183649 - 5 years ago

Always sign a contract between yourself and locataire, including weekly rentals. You can pick-up a standard version at FNAC or La Sorbonne or other good stationers, look for "Location Saisonniere" (you can also find on-line, often too many to select the correct/valid version....). 

Steve