Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


public liability insurance for property guardiens

Posted by cremeanglaise - Created: 7 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 7 years ago

I hope your friends know what they're doing because doesn't sound much like 'self employment'. (If your friends are interested in the legalities of being employed as gardiens and having accommodation provided as part of the package, they can read about it here http://www.urssaf.fr/employeurs/dossiers_reglementaires/dossiers_reglementaires/avantages_en_nature_03.html). But leaving that aside, if they are working as a couple then auto entrepreneur is not really a viable option, and even if one of them claims to be working and the other not, with high overheads such as insurance it would still not be a good regime for them. 

However as HomeSecretary says, they would normally need to be registered as a business to be accepted for professional insurance.

What exactly do they want to be insured against, apart from injury which would presumably be covered by their normal cotisations? Is it legal protection that they are looking for?

Sorry no image available
Posted by HomeSecretary - 7 years ago

Hiscox Professional has a liability insurance for "Gardiennage" but you need to be a registered company I think to be able to take this out (although if they are properly self-employed via an Autoentrepreneur scheme for example, they should have a SIREN number which might be enough).

Your friends can find out more on the Hiscox website www.hiscoxpro.fr 

Hope this helps!

Sorry no image available
Posted by cremeanglaise - 7 years ago

thanks squeaky, they will be self employed, seasonal employment.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeaky-882728 - 7 years ago


Are they being paid and working with a French employment contract or self-employed? Before anyone can answer questions about public liability insurance, we need to know the nature of their employment contract. Normally this isn't necessary if they are salaried, if they are self-employed it is.