DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Question: Feedup of paying too much tax? Answer:

Posted by nice_and_sunny2 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Q. Feedup of paying too much tax?

A. Pay for everything with a Carte Bleu or Cheque.

This weekend was confronted by 5 small businesses that refuse carte bleus and Cheques.  The main reason for this is to avoid taxes, all business in cash can be hidden from the tax man and hence you have to pay more each year on your income.

One bar owner could not even give me a receipt with a TVA number.

Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Paul_A-184148 - 14 years ago

I don't really blame them for only accepting cash - have you seen how small businesses here get hammered for tax and social security?  The problem has been created by governments ran by people who have no idea what like is like for a small business, they just see them as cash cows to pay for their bloated state bill.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosetta-185721 - 14 years ago

If you bounce a cheque here you are in big trouble (some banks are better than others) - your cheque book can be confiscated and you are reported to the bank of france. I did it inadvertently about four years ago - the cheque was for about 200 francs and it caused no end of problems.

Sorry no image available
Posted by angel-187474 - 14 years ago

yep - I do understand ... it just took a while to comprehend the differences between home (Downunder) and Europe.  Back home cheque fraud is all too easy and rampant - less and less businesses are accepting cheques I've noticed, because - as you said; even authorisation on a transaction is no guarantee of getting the money.  With visa cards however, the moment someone swiped an overdrawn, frozen or stolen card through the machine - a problem was immediately indicated to the operator; sometimes resulting in the immediate apprehension of the offender.  So I was surprised to find acceptance of cheques more common here than visa card.  Must be a difference in the way they process or guarantee things at the bank I guess.xx. A

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

There are legitimate reasons for a (legitimate) business to decide against accepting Carte Bleu/Visa/Mastercard: the transaction charge and the risk element, in particular (even if the payment has been authorised doesn't mean you're ever going to see the money).

However, I personally can see no (legitimate) reason for refusing cheques - with ID, of course - nor for refusing to deliver a TVA receipt (assuming the business is TVA-rated, naturally - but even if it isn't you should be able to insist on a proper facture with the RCS and/or SIRET number on it).

angel: many businesses in many countries refuse cards from other countries. In France, for example, the retailer has to carry significantly more risk on the transaction if it's a non-local card.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by angel-187474 - 14 years ago

I've also been surprised at the number of businesses that don't accept carte bleu, cheque or even visa.  A couple of times this has led to a little embarrassment - once when we ate at a (medium sized) restaurant and discovered at the end of the meal they only accept cash ... 2nd; in a rather large supermarket (in Ventimiglia actually) which - after spending 20 mins in queue and processing our trolley chokka block full of food - they too only accepted cash. 

xx. A