DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Redundancy / Enemployment

Posted by stain - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Si-180835 - 15 years ago

Erm, worst case is looking imminent....Anyone got information ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Si-180835 - 15 years ago

quote:What is common to both options 1) and 2) is that your separation package (indemnité de licensiment) and unemployment in the event of no folow-on employment are guaranteed for their MINIMUM levels. The basic minimum "indemnité de licensiment" is defined by your rofession's "convention collective". The unemployment is quite generous giving you nearly all your take home pay for several months, gradually decreasing till you reach the ASSEDIC floor. id=quote>How can one assertain your professions "convention collective" to find out the basic minimum entitlement and how long this is available for in the event of redundancy ? It would be nice to know exactly what the 'worst case senario' is likely to be.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

Well this is very topical with all the layoffs that are going on at the moment in the region and all over France.Lots of different things can happen depending upon your status. Let's assume "salarié" for the moment, all paid up for ASSEDIC etc. and with the appropriate "contrat d'emploi" defining an active "convention collective".Then you can be laid off (assuming without fault) under 2 different schemes, 1)"licensiment individuel" for a single person or up to 9 people being laid off OR 2)"plan social" for more than 9 being laid off for economic reasons.What is common to both options 1) and 2) is that your separation package (indemnité de licensiment) and unemployment in the event of no folow-on employment are guaranteed for their MINIMUM levels. The basic minimum "indemnité de licensiment" is defined by your rofession's "convention collective". The unemployment is quite generous giving you nearly all your take home pay for several months, gradually decreasing till you reach the ASSEDIC floor. Oh one other thing : the "indemnité de licensiment" is free of tax!!! I tink (but not sure here) that your Sécurité Sociale coverage is automatically maintained for at least 12 or 15 months.What varies between options 1) and 2) is whatever additional negotiated "indemnité" you can obtain beyond the minimums described above. There is usually something to be had here and it can vary all over the scale. Under a "plan social" it will be defined usually by your union representative equitably for everybody, taking into account social factors such as marital status, age, family size/age etc. Under a "licensiment individuel" you can get any deal you are strong enough to individually negotiate. This may vary depending upon you or your employer's willingness to settle quickly and the depth of his pockets.

Sorry no image available
Posted by KathyG-181288 - 15 years ago

You should visit your local ASSEDIC office with all the paperwork from your last job. They will calculate how much "chomage" you are entitled to (I think it's about 70% of your average salary over the last 12 months) and then arrange an appointment with the ANPE (Job Centre). You go along there and have an interview to let them know in what area you are looking for work. I can't remember all the details but the best thing to do when (if?) the time comes is to go to the ASSEDIC and explain your situation.In my experience the whole process was the most efficient and painless I have ever experienced in France (or any where else for that matter).