DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

reflagging my boat

Posted by Taniwha - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

Here's the text from the ANFR site if anyone is interested.

http://www.anfr.fr/index.php?cat=radiomaritime&page=faq#crr_1_1

Tony

Sorry no image available

It seems that there is a tax of 98 EUR but the authorities cannot agree on who should collect it. So no bills have been sent out for the last couple of years.

It is the same situation with the licence exam.  There is a tax of 78 EUR, but it hasnt been collected for a while.

Of course, people who dont have a radio, like me, only know that there are taxes and expensive exams.  There is also no guarantee that the authorities will not get their act together and send out bills for the last couple of years.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by gollum-193507 - 14 years ago

There is no annaul radio tax in France - amazingly!wiggly waw fish

Sorry no image available

The main reason is the annual radio tax, followed by the need to take an exam to get an operators licence.  Neither of these obstacles is insurmountable, but if you have a small boat and navigate mostly near the coast, it is easier to not bother with the hassle of getting a radio and to try and get by with a GSM.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Oceanpro - 14 years ago

I am interested to know why tonyp has stated that French regulations discourage VHF? Is it just because its not listed as compulsory for any of the catergories?

Sorry no image available

I have the set of corks already. I add a couple after each picnic.

I also have the party tooter, the makeup mirror, the washing-up bucket, the washing line, the oar and all the other gadgets required for navigation in the 5th category.

Every time I add a cork to the collection I give a blast on the party tooter.

The corks are not for plugging leaks.  The idea is that if you get lost you drop a cork overboard every now and again so that you can find your way home again.

I never understood what use the oar would be, especially since I only need one of them.  I suppose its for whacking the outboard if it doesnt start.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by shaunjarvis - 14 years ago

And all this when the French hardly have a Health and Safety inspectorate. Jeremy Clarkson could do a numer on this.shaunjarvis

Sorry no image available
Posted by gollum-193507 - 14 years ago

TonyP, you forgot to mention that you also need a set of corks for plugging broken through-hull fittings. Even if your boat has no through-hull fittings this is no excuse! A few years ago at the start of the Route de Rhum sailing race in Brittany, the chasing support boat of one of the competitors strayed outside its category limits. The marine gendarmes inspected it and found it didn't have the compulsory set of corks and prosecuted the skipper. The fact that the boat was a RIB made no difference!!!wiggly waw fish

Sorry no image available

Aargh!

Now I check the papers the boat has been registered in the 4th category anyway. 

So whenever I go to the Lerins island for a picnic I am supposed to have a 6-man liferaft, a radar reflector, a barometer, a ships chronometer, a radio receiver (but not transmitter), a harness for everyone on board, a set of parachute flares, an extra bucket , a copy of the book listing lighthouses, a spare ignition coil, a second compass, a set of spark plugs, a manual depth gauge, a light for the life-buoy......

I suppose I stick the radar reflector on top of the outboard since it is the highest point of the boat.  Since the boats draft is 40cm I guess putting 10cm marks on the boat hook will serve as a depth gauge.

Reading the CROSS statistics, since France introduced the requirement to have a life raft in the 4th category, it has saved no lives at all.  In the mediterrainean, almost all fatalities involving boats were due to falling overboard or to illness.  Some of these lives could have been saved if the boat had a VHF radio, but the French legislation discourages this.

Tony

Sorry no image available