DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Registration for the French National Health

Posted by Serious_Guy - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jewel-007 - 13 years ago

Yes Pervinca you are right...that is WHY I stated you MUST be able to take your rent book or show residency...in my case I took copies of the deeds and the accounts of my notaire bill for them to copy and they were happy with that plus the other items I have listed...they never asked to see any carte sejour after those items were shownjewel-007

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pervinca - 13 years ago

The carte de sejour has now been scrapped, I think the main requirement is residency and it's compulsory to register for health care under a recent law. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Exiled - 13 years ago

You need a "carte de sejour"  (residence permit) to get your Carte Vitale from "Assurance Maladie" (check with your local CPAM "caisse primaire assurance maladie" office.)  The number you get from CPAM is your Social Security as well as your health insurance number.  It takes a few months to receive the actual Carte Vitale.  You do receive within a few weeks though a piece of paper (attestation) saying that you are registered with Assurance Maladie.  This "attestation" has a temporary number on it but it is good enough to give to your doctor.  You must know though that Assurance Maladie covers upto 80% of the healthcare costs.  The rest you must cover yourself with a private health plan and that you can get from any private insurer.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by jewel-007 - 13 years ago

You must go to your local CPAM office dealing with this subject and take along the following for them

-passport

-birth certificate showing your parents names

-proof of your residence such as notaires deeds etc

-RIB

-three months min of bills showing your address such as gas elec or telephone

They will photocopy all of the above and then apply to the british system to transfer your rights across(I beleive thats how it works) then supply you with your carte vitale

Hope that helps...I think that you can phone them if in doubt too to ask them questions...good luck and go early as it is horrible in there as very crowded, so long wait and queues

jewel-007

Sorry no image available
Posted by rascalrabbit - 13 years ago

Hi -All residents of France, as of year 2000, must apply for French health care at the CPAM social securite for your area.Merci beaucoupBarrie G

Sorry no image available
Posted by scratchy - 13 years ago

and if you don't work here, just live here....?

Sorry no image available
Posted by pipsqueak-193810 - 13 years ago

If you have been working legally in France you should have been assigned a Social Security Number already. You need to go to your local CPAM (Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie) office with your passport, birth certificate, a bank RIB for a French bank account and either your work contract or a recent pay slip. If you are registered as self-employed in France, then take along the necessary documents. When you get there, just ask for a Carte Vitale. They will photocopy the necessary documents and within 2-3 weeks you should be issued with a 'feuille de soins', which is a temporary number. Take this with you to the doctor or dentist if necessary. After about 2-3 months, you should receive your green Carte Vitale with your definitive number on it. I'm not entirely sure, but I think you might be able to claim for any medical bills (non-cosmetic) for the previous 12 months before getting a Carte Vitale, as long as you can prove that you've paid your contributions into the French system.

Hope this helps!

Sorry no image available
Posted by pipsqueak-193810 - 13 years ago

If you have been working legally in France you should have been assigned a Social Security Number already. You need to go to your local CPAM (Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie) office with your passport, birth certificate, a bank RIB for a French bank account and either your work contract or a recent pay slip. If you are registered as self-employed in France, then take along the necessary documents. When you get there, just ask for a Carte Vitale. They will photocopy the necessary documents and within 2-3 weeks you should be issued with a 'feuille de soins', which is a temporary number. Take this with you to the doctor or dentist if necessary. After about 2-3 months, you should receive your green Carte Vitale with your definitive number on it. I'm not entirely sure, but I think you might be able to claim for any medical bills (non-cosmetic) for the previous 12 months before getting a Carte Vitale, as long as you can prove that you've paid your contributions into the French system.

Hope this helps!

Sorry no image available
Posted by NadiaG-192314 - 13 years ago

Question 1 :Do you work? (in France)Nadia