Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Rental deposit dispute-Help please

Posted by marcymo - Created: 7 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ouch that hurt !-230853 - 7 years ago

Start by SAYING you are handing the problem to aide juridique, it may be all she needs to pay up, if not, then you put the threat into action

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lots-322716 - 7 years ago

Look carefully again at your contract. Is it for a furnished property or not? If unfurnished you have to give 2 months notice unless it's a 'change of professional situation' (relocation or loss of work contract or to move to another area to take up a job).

Sorry no image available
Posted by marcymo - 7 years ago

Thank you both! It has not yet been two months, and yes, sort of furnished...i left because she was doing construction on the studio behind the little house I rented and was there after work till late every night and all weekend Sat. and Sunday making all kinds of noise for 6 months straight in addition the down stairs was mildewing. Normally it's the landlord complaining about the tenant. I have sent a letter but will do it avec AR as well. She is not answering e-mails or taking my calls so i think she has no intention of giving my overpaid rent or deposit back after she said she would back on the 28th of June via e-mail. I will do as you say and go to the Tribunal next month. Thank you again for you time and assistance, very much appreciated!

Sorry no image available
Posted by nissalabella - 7 years ago

Hi Marcymo, I'm going to try to answer as clearly as possible as to your rental deposit dispute.
Firstly, your landlord has a legal 2 months to give you the deposit back, not 1 month. Secondly, and you didn't mention when you left the flat, I assume it was furnished - hence the one-month notice from your part. Thirdly, if you've reached the end of the 2 months after your depart, then you have to contact the judge of the Tribunal where the flat is located. In French, it is called a "juge de proximité". You may then, or not, find a language barrier. If it is the case, feel free to email me and I can help you with my French to get your money back.
Good luck,

Sorry no image available
Posted by ouch that hurt !-230853 - 7 years ago

In France they legally have a month (or some say 2) months to refundIs the proprietor on holiday? have you tried telephoning ?I would send a lettre recommandé aavec AR, giving facts, asking for prompt reimbursement, or your conseiller juridique will deal with it. You may find you already have aide juridique in your house/personal insurance, if so, just hand them the documents & relax. if not