DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Retainers for Guardiennes ? Advice please...

Posted by dilys-191303 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by NadiaG-192314 - 13 years ago

Well I am a gardienne as well.I do three times two hours cleaning a week and my boyfriend does 10 hours gardening a week. We get free accomodation heating and water. It's good enough. A lot of gardien positions are paid, but they involve more hours, cooking, serving meas,l taking care of children, animals, cars...etc.In your case, you will only be working a few weeks a year so free accomodation all year is quite a good deal for a few weeks work.Nadia

Sorry no image available
Posted by laura nissetter - 13 years ago

Dilys,i have e-mailed you privately re pay  and conditions

Sorry no image available
Posted by tanyamoose2000 - 13 years ago

Wish I had a cushy job like that...!tanyamoose

Sorry no image available
Posted by dilys-191303 - 14 years ago

Me again - just thought I'd let you know the maths that gave rise to his offer of 1000 euros per month. The 16 weeks mentioned above would entail 39 hours work each week = 624 hours, I would receive 15 euros an hour (his offer) net = 9360 euros. He rounded this up to 12000 - an addition of 2640 euros, which works out at 74 euros for each of the remaining 36 weeks during which I would check the house generally on a daily basis and check for larger issues of maintenance on a weekly basis, then arrange for appropriate works to be done as necessary. He/his accountant estimates that the 1000 net that I would receive each month will cost him 1400 - 1500 each month. We would both be insured and if I was ill or had an accident de travaille I would be covered both medically and for sick pay and he would not lose out if he had to temporarily employ other help.

?

dilys

Sorry no image available

Hi rivierasun - I don't think that I and the other guardien(nes) are greedy either. Neither does my employer - he is the one who wants to make sure that we are being fair to each other. He doesn't see his provision of accomodation as a big plus for me (it is, afterall, "tied" to the job, and is only as secure as the job), but he sees that having somebody willing to live in his valuable property as a big advantage for him. I shall be working very long hours for him for 2 months in the summer, 2 weeks in Dec/Jan, 2/3 weeks at easter and 3 x half-term breaks. It is this work for which  shall be paid. If I did not want to clean, do the laundry, prepapre for visitors etc he would employ those people IN ADDITION to me. My job would then be just to be on site for security reasons - with the freedom to take a fully-paid, full-time job year-round.

What he is proposing seems to be more the norm than your arrangement.

Or maybe there is a whole range of ways that people organise these things. I would be really interested to know some more about your arrangement. I really DO want to get this right - I hope that it will a settled situation for quite some time to come.

Please let me know whatever you are happy to reveal - as I said in my first posting, all advice, experiences would be welcome. Email me rather than broadcasting everything?

Thanks for taking some time over this,

dilys

Sorry no image available
Posted by rivierasun - 14 years ago

Sorry Dylis,

You have got it wrong, I am a guardien, and I have a very good contract, but I consider my accommodation to be of a high value and do not expect a salary as well for my meagre 20 hours work every week of the year.  And I declare it.  But I am not greedy

Sorry no image available

We - my employer and myself - are only trying to get it right rivierasun. We want everything declared, "free-accomodation" is an income. As it happens, I have had a number of emails from people in similar situations who get paid retainers - these have ranged from 600 euros per month to 1800 per month depending on what ever else the guardienne does in the property. All of these people have their income declared and are therefore within the security of the system. Their contracts also vary - one person has a 3-year contract, others are CDI's and like most work contracts liable to one or two - month's notice by either party. It is a job, it should have a contract and it should have security - the free accomodation is also home to someone. Do you employ a guardienne rivierasun - what contract do they have? If they want to know more they can contact me here or by email.

Thank you

dilys

Sorry no image available
Posted by rivierasun - 14 years ago

Isnt free accommodation enough?