DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Seeking objective info on Mutelles

Posted by Sevendaver-252003 - Created: 7 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 20)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeaky-882728 - 7 years ago

Well said Mrs C!! ;)

The OP says: Perhaps someone can point me to somewhere that describes what the options are.

No-one on here can give you the idiot's guide to how reimbursement works (%'s) or anything else. It's way too complicated. As Mrs C says, do your own Googling and you'll find plenty of information to read through which will give you all the answers you're looking for.

Even those of us who've been here for a long, long time will only say how much we pay and for what we are covered.  There are far too many variants to explain them all on a forum.

Sorry no image available
Posted by crumblies - 7 years ago

Google French top-up insurance. There is plenty of information in English, including 200% of what.

Mrs C

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sevendaver-252003 - 7 years ago

Is there a web site like Furets in English.  I would like to know more about the %ages.  200% of what?

Sorry no image available
Posted by LouiseLL - 7 years ago

Oh yes they do - the French have ferrets instead of meerkats: http://www.lesfurets.com !!

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 7 years ago

there's a vague comparison site called assureland which you could look at but their cookies are horrendous & you get alot of spam mail & stuff after having looked

meerkat comparison sites dont seem to exist here ;-(

( can you imagine the faces of your average frenchman with that style of ad haha)

Sorry no image available

If you have a little French, then my advice would be to do what I did, which is to Google something like "comparaison mutuelles" and it comes up with lots of sites where you can enter your most important criteria, e.g. hospitalisation, and so forth, then it will give you a list of your best options. If you do this on a number of sites then you'll start seeing recurring companies. Anyway, that's what I did about 2 or 3 years ago and I'm very happy with my choice.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sevendaver-252003 - 7 years ago

Perhaps someone can point me to somewhere that describes what the options are.  Ideally there would be somewhere that provides a menu of options like a grid or matrix.  I do not know what my needs are because presently I have none.  I have had dental work done in the past.  I know that hospital care is important however what are the coverage options?  I don't require generalizations.  Specific referrences would be helpful.  Web sites, names of brokers that offer different products and speak English well enough to give me the highlights.  I am interested in transparency so if I sense that there is ambiguity the deal is off.  I worked in the insurance business in Canada so I am used to detail and would appreciate more than a recommendation to evaluate my needs.  Frankly I have no needs, famous last words but one never know oui / non. 

Sorry no image available

I spent ages online comparing offers and indeed, it depends on what you are looking for. Many mutuelles offer good contracts. It's about finding the right one to cover your personal situation and needs. So take your time and shop around.

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 7 years ago

Each Mutuelle offers a range of different levels of cover. Get some quotes online and then work out what would best suit your own particular needs. It's very much a personal decision based on how good your health is, how comprehensive you want the cover to be (do you want it to include dental, optical, just basic hospitalisation), how much you want to/can afford to pay in premiums, and whether or not you would be in a position to pay the bills in the event that you decided not to take out cover and you were unlucky enough to need expensive medical care.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeaky-882728 - 7 years ago

Contact a broker/courtier!! ;)

Seriously, there are so many variations of mutuelle companies that it all depend on what sort of cover you want.